Chapter 15

Towards Philippopolis

It had been one day since the old woman, who Aella knew as Beatrix, had attacked Thoren, several miles away from Philippopolis . Today, Aella, her father and her mother, would meet with Beatrix. As they entered the tent they saw that Beatrix's appearance had been completely changed and she was no longer tied to the wooden post.

When Aella had seen the woman days earlier, she had been covered in dried mud, and her already plain garments had been ripped to shreds. Now, her face had been washed, removing years from her expected age, though Aella could tell that she was still quite old. The ripped and tattered garments that the princess had seen her in were replaced with a stunning bondi blue gown that fluttered away from her figure in a cheerful manner. She wore a long and thin gold chain around her neck, and her grey hair was swept perfectly around her square shaped face.

Aella was not the only person that had noticed Beatrix's change in appearance.

Her father gasped. "Witch!" He shouted, sure that this transformation was caused by magic. He had also not ordered his soldiers to unbind her, yet here she was, freely walking around the tent.

Aella took hold of his hand. "Father!" she said back as equally as loud, shocked that Thaumas would say something so rude towards her friend. She shot an apologetic look towards Beatrix.

Beatrix seemed completely unfaltered by the king's statement. "Now, now Aella dear,"She said shushing the girl. "A witch is just a woman who isn't afraid to make her own rules."

This made Thaumas frown harder, and even earned a disapproving look from Electra.

She ushered Aella towards her. "Come here darling."

"Don't."Thaumas said sternly and motioned to the soldiers to tie Beatrix back up. "We do not treat the physical assault of a soldier lightly."

"Is this really necessary, father?" Aella asked, tired of her father's behaviour. She had forgiven Beatrix for injuring Thoren. It had been an accident not a deed tinged with malicious intent.

"This woman poses no threat to us." She said keeping her words steady. Her father wouldn't listen to her if her voice became overwhelmed and stringy with emotion.

The queen started to disagree with Aella and soon the tent was full of voices shouting at each other. The soldiers paused, not quite sure of who to obey in the situation, as each person with royal blood was disagreeing with the other.

"If I may be so bold, " Beatrix spoke up amidst the clamor. "You have been utterly  blind. Both of you." She motioned towards Thaumas and Electra. Her speech was coherent and pooled to fill the empty spaces in the room.

"I beg your pardon!" Thaumas said loudly, now even more offended. "Who do you think you are?"

"I am a sage, my king. And I sensing that your daughter has..hmm, an air about her." She walked towards Aella, and took the girls youthful hands in hers. Aella felt the rough calloused palms of the woman, worn with age and experience grasp hers lightly. There was still a sense of motherly tenderness about Beatrix, as if age had made her mind more enlightened and in turn, her body more mature.

Beatrix closed her eyes and breathed deeply. "Yes, I feel it strongly now... you have tremendous power, but you are unaware of it, yes?" She opened her eyes to see Aella's response.

"No, Beatrix. I am afraid you are mistaken. It was my brother who had..abilities..not I."

"I am never wrong. What were your brother's abilities?" She asked, still moving around Aella in circles and examining her. Thaumas and Electra stood back in shock, yet the atmosphere of Beatrix herself was contagious and prevented them from moving, their feet now heavy like metal weights.