As soon as their skin touched, she felt that same electric thrill go up her arm but she forced herself to ignore it. She looked up at him and was sucked into his eyes. They were still intense but now they had softened a bit. The emotion confused her but then she remembered the audience.

The priest continued……..as she heard the words, she felt the panic bubbling inside her. It threatened to choke her. The poem that she had written flashed through her mind and she almost jerked her hand out of his hand. But he held on and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. He rubbed his thumb back and forth across the back of her hand. It helped her to relax but it also reminded her that leaving was not an option.

How many times had she dreamed of a day like this? How many fantasies had she woven about love, weddings, marriage and a husband to go home to? She sighed quietly. It was time she knew to let the dream go. It was time she knew to bury her idea of the perfect husband, wedding and marriage. It was time to let go of her previous life and accept the new.

She was jerked back to her surroundings by a firm squeeze of her hand that bordered on being painful. Her eyes immediately lifted towards Michael’s. She almost flinched at the hardness of his gaze and was immediately caught up in his eyes. When the priest asked her to confirm her vows, she repeated them with a quivering but strong voice. To others, it seemed that she was tearing up because of her love towards her husband, but Chloe and Sara thought that it was because of the conflicted state of mind their sister was experiencing. Violet was still trying to decide between the options.

As Michael started repeating his own vows, Violet was pulled into another memory.

“Are you kidding me?” shrieked the attractive brunette

Michael winced. The woman sure did have a good pair of lungs. “No, I am not kidding you. if you look at it, it’s a win-win for both of us. You need money and I need a wife. Come on Violet, you have to admit that it will be a symbiotic relationship.”

“You are mad! Certified mad. If you ever come to me for check-up, I will send you straight to the hospital. And the hospital would not even question it once they know the reason! I am leaving.” Violet swiftly picked up her purse and prepared to make a quick exit out of the room.

“Oh, come on Violet; don’t tell me you do not need the money. If memory serves right, and it usually does, then according to your last bank statement, you owe the bank seven hundred thousand dollars, two hundred thousand to your Uncle Steve and four hundred thousand dollars to a Mr. Reynolds. This deal will go a long way in dealing with those pesky little problems, don’t ya think?”

Violet froze mid-step. She stiffened and whirled around to face him. Her eyes were deathly wide and her skin had gone a ghastly shade of white. He experienced a brief sense of regret and guilt at forcing her hand, but the emotions were quickly disposed of. His eyes reflected those emotions but his posture remained the same he gently guided her towards the couch

“ Ho- How do you know ab- about that? Who told you?” her voice was quivering but she fought hard to control it.

“Sweetheart, you don’t reach this position without learning a few tricks,” he smirked.

She swallowed and cursed her heart for its rapid beating when she saw his smirk. If he was not such a ruthless man, she would be instantly attracted to him. Aren’t you already? A small voice whispered in her head, which she immediately dismissed.

“What do you want?” she asked with a much calmer and composed voice.

“You already know that.” He winked. She didn’t know whether to punch him or kiss him. She must be more stunned by this announcement than she initially thought, if she was thinking of kissing him.

“See the rules will be pretty simple. We get married, I pay off your loans, and you give me a child. You take care of the child, I provide for its needs. And we stay out of each other’s way. Except, we both remain faithful, at least in public.”

Her eyes widened again. She sputtered out, “Marriage? Child? Infidelity? Are you crazy or are you crazy? ”

His eyes hardened. She was testing his patience now. She was also making him a bit uncomfortable. He was extremely aware of her beauty and her petite figure. She was short but he instinctively knew that they would fit well. He shifted in his seat to become more comfortable and forced his mind away from his less than decent thoughts.

“This is the last time I am going to make this offer. I know you need money. I also know that if you don’t pay back the bank, the beloved house of your parents will be taken away. Think carefully before you insult me again. There is only so much that I can take.”

He didn’t mention that he would have thrown her out if it was someone else talking to him this way. He looked at her impassively. She took her bottom lip in between her teeth and bit it. He mentally groaned and shifted again in his seat. He had half a mind to drag her against him and kiss her senseless. He resisted. Barely.

“Can I think about this? I ne-need to consider ever-everything before making a decision,” she stuttered out in a wavering voice. She flinched mentally at herself for sounding so weak.

“A day,” he said narrowing his eyes.

“A day! That is not much time!”

“I don’t think you’re in a position to make demands Ms. Cartwright.” He said it in a low, dangerous voice.

“Meet me here tomorrow at the same time,” he said briskly.

She was jerked out of her thoughts when Michael tugged on her hand.

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride,” the priest announced in a cheery and jovial manner.

Her hand trembled in Michael’s hand. She looked up into his eyes and saw so many emotions that she could hardly identify any. He wrapped his arms around her waist and tugged her closer as he leaned down to kiss her lips. She didn’t have any moment to panic as he brushed his lips against her.