3.

Missy

A few more days had passed and things were looking up in the house. Although August and I weren't having sex, we were still intimate with one another. We would hold each other at night and have deep conversations about our feelings and just life in general, which is spiritually better than sex. The kids were definitely showing me the love I dreamed of. The boys treated me with the same love and respect as they did their father. Of course, Lyric did the same thing and I was grateful for it. My biggest fear was that my kids wouldn't respect me or love me and I didn't have to worry about that. August had told me many times that I shouldn't think like that and that wasn't how things would happen, but I didn't believe him. In my mind, he was just saying that to calm my nerves but it was true. I couldn't have been any happier.

While I was incarcerated, we decided that it would be best if the kids didn't come up here after three years old. They were allowed to call me and talk to me but I couldn't let my kids see me like that. Especially the boys since they'd just been born when I was taken in. They wouldn't have known their mother for who she was but they would've known me as a criminal because that would've been all they'd seen from me. On the other hand, Lyric knew me as her mother and she knew how I was outside of my criminal history. She was able to experience my nurturing side, which the boys didn't have much of a chance doing so. Aside from the insecurities and worries that I have, things are great for me and I am truly happy that it turned out this way.

"Ayo, y'all ready ta' go or what? We don't got all day." August shouted as he went down the hall banging on the kids' doors. "We ready, Dad, dang." Kenneth stormed out of the room in which he shared with his brother with his swimming trunks on. Kendrick exited the room with a silly smile on his face. Kendrick and Kenneth were always in different moods from one another. They were usually never in the same mood at the same time. So when Kendrick is upset, Kenneth us happy and vice versa.

"Lyric, where ya' at?!" August shouted as he did a drum roll type of knock on her door. "Here I come, Dad, chill!" She shouted through the door. Seconds later, she walked out with a black two-piece swimsuit on and a sheer black cover-up tied around her waist. She had on some black and gold sandals to match it and some dark-tinted shades.

"Uh, hold the fuck up." August said once he caught a glimpse what she was wearing. "Turn around." He demanded, twirling his index finger around. She let out a breath of frustration as she lazily did a quick spin. "Oh God, August." I groaned.

"Don't come at me, come at ha'. Look what she wearing." He said, pointing at her. "I see what she's wearing, baby. It's fine."

"She don't got shit on! What you mean "it's fine"? It ain't fine. Ha' ass hanging all out!"

"August, we're going to a water park!" I should've known this was happening while I was away. As protective as he was over Lyric when she was a baby, this was bound to happen. I knew he'd be a crazy dad ever since he told Lyric he'll throw another baby in the trash if they were attracted to her. At only a few weeks old, he said this to her.

"You ca' cover ya'self while you at a water park. You know what, I got something fa' you. Stay right here." He said as he ran off to our bedroom. "I'm sorry, Lyric." I laughed.

"He's always doing the most." She said in frustration but I could only laugh. He'd genuinely pissed her off with his crazy talk. A few short moments later, he returned with a plastic shopping bag in his hand. "I got this fa' you. Put this on. It's cute too." He said, handing over the bag.

"It's cute?" She questioned with a blank expression as if she knew it'd be ugly. When she looked inside the bag, she scoffed. "Really, Dad?"

"Yeah, really. I seen it and thought it'd be cute fa' my baybeh so I picked it out."