Ang Pang-Apatnapu't Siyam

Start from the beginning

He's still in his office. Main office. Whatever.

"Good morning to you too, Chrissy. Did I...wake you up?" Bumaba ang kaniyang mga kilay at nagpakumbabang ngumiti.

"Isn't it obvious? Sa dami ba naman ng messages mo ay hindi ako magigising?" mataray kong sabi kahit na ang totoo ay kanina pa ako gising. Kinawit ko ang mga kagigising lang ding mga buhok sa tainga.

"I was trying not to call. It might wake you up. I'm sorry..." He bit his lower lip but his hand gently caressed its reddening spot.

I looked at his fingers, the ones battling his poor lower lip. Its motion was dizzying. I bit my lips and looked at his eyes again. Kaya ayaw pa niyang tumawag ay ayaw niya akong magising? Ganoon ba?

"Why are you calling this early, anyway? Don't you have any meeting? A report to review?" Sinandal ko ang likod sa headboard ng kama.

"It can wait. They can wait. I need to see you first."

But, how about your girl in the picture frame, huh?

You probably saw her first. But I didn't care. Ram can oogle anyone he wants.

Nakipagtitigan lamang ako kay Ram sa screen. Ang mapupungay niyang mga mata ang sumalubong sa aking mga matang naghahamon. Tinaasan ko ito ng kilay.

He looked extra polished in the morning. Extra fine looking, his suit — extra expensive and smart. Extra clean styled hair, just extra darkly handsome.

"Did you eat breakfast? Its eight-thirty a.m. already. You should eat..." his husky voice lowered even more.

Another shiver ran through me and through my whole body. I didn't let him see that, of course. I just looked at him boredly. And I was really bored.

"Pwede ring magpaakyat ka na lang ng pagkain. Huwag ka nang bumaba pa. Diyan ka na lang sa kama." His voice hardened a bit, eyebrows meeting halfway.

Ang bahagyang nagmamataas niyang boses ay hindi nababagay sa umaga namin. Dapat ay malupit na ito sa kaniyang mga empleyado ngunit sa bagong gising na katulad ko ay nagsusumamo siya.

I dramatically batted my eyelashes at him. I saw him shift in his seat and focused on me even more. The only problem was the frown marring his forehead.

"I'm not in the mood to eat. I'm alone here. Papa's out of country and the my housemaids do not like to eat with me..." wala sa isip kong sabi. Huli na ang lahat bago ko iyon mabawi.

I cleared my throat. Breathing was suddenly needed controlling.

"Even the guards?"

"Yes, even the guards. They eat on the dirty kitchen..." nanliliit ang aking boses.

His office was definitely quiet, and our lowered voices may be the only source of sound. I kept hearing Ram's low breathing and my eyes wanted to roll back.

Namula kaagad ang aking pisngi sa naisip. Napatingin na lamang ako sa mga libro sa kaniyang likuran.

Holy shit, why would I even think of that? That maybe, I can smell his aftershave from here?

"That's alright. The guards should never leave their posts and only female personnel should attend to you..."

I ignored him. That was not his call to make. Hindi naman ako ganoon kasama dahil kasama namin dito sa bahay ay dapat na pantay-pantay ang trato. I remained silent.

"Magpaakyat ka na ng pagkain, Chrissy. You must be hungry. I'll leave you to it, then?" Ram tilted his head a bit, his wide chest clad in pinstripe suit rising and falling fast.