Part 20

Hiccup turned to face his father as he walked in with the other inmates to meet their families.

Stoick ran right to Hiccup and hugged him, "My son!" he said happily.

Hiccup broke from him and actually smiled. For once, his father's apologies and sad looks didn't faze him. Today he felt stronger than those faces. But maybe it was because he was actually happy to see his father, because he knew that what he was about to say during group was going to change everything. It was a scary thought, but at the same time, he felt better knowing he could do it today.

They caught up quickly and sat back down. Group would start in seconds.

Hiccup listened to the usual spiel about rules and timing and simply waited for the group leader to ask who would speak first.

Hiccup cleared his throat, "I wanna talk today." He said quietly.

Everyone turned to look at him, a little shocked. Normally, he didn't speak, except to answer a question. The group facilitator looked pleased to finally hear Hiccup speaking. He nodded encouragingly.

"Ah!" Stoick interrupted laughing, "You're going to tell them good news, huh?"

Hiccup smiled sadly and shook his head, "No Dad...I'm going to finally talk about what happened that night."

"What?" Stoick asked, still smiling but getting nervous, "What do you mean?"

"Stoick," The group leader interrupted, "I think Hiccup needs to speak today...let's hear what he has to say."

Stoick nodded and sat back quietly to listen.

Hiccup took a breath and looked up. He gazed at his fellow group members and then at his dad, "Dad...I've been quiet for a long time. I've never talked about what happened that night. And lately...it's been coming back. And I won't lie, I've been a mess. I sometimes forget to help out around the house or I'm too scared to go shopping. Sometimes I even stop breathing for a bit because I just can't stand the memory of it."

He took another breath and swallowed, "But the truth is, Dad...is that I'm really, really angry about that night. Not just at you, but at Mom...and myself."

Stoick stared at his son, not quite sure what to think.

"That night...when you killed her. I know you didn't mean to and I know you never meant to hurt us, but...you did! I'll never understand why you chose to beat me or mom or why you felt so angry you had to shove her that hard and kill her. Or why you panicked and chose to take me away that night and get into a crash under the influence of alcohol. Neither of us did anything to make you mad. I was a good kid and I didn't deserve any of that!"

Stoick began to cry as Hiccup continued.

"Honestly Dad, the only reason I come to these stupid meetings and visit you is because I want it to be the day that I say I can hate you and never want to see you again. But I never can, because you're my dad and I love you."

He finally looked Stoick in the eye, "But you really don't know me, Dad. You don't know that I call Fergus and Elinor my Mom and Dad or that I call Merida my sister and the triplets my brothers."

Stoick stared in shock.

"They're my family and I'll never leave them." Hiccup said, finally starting to cry, "Because they love me and accept me for who I am. They never have to resort to drinking or lying. They love that I draw dragons and listen to Celtic Rock. They accept the fact that I'm...I'm gay."

Stoick actually sputtered for a moment and stared angrily at Hiccup, "Son! What the fuck has gotten into you?! That's personal! Why would you talk like that?! You can't be serious!"