Nine

Nine

For the rest of the week, meeting Rayne outside my door was becoming a routine. She's mostly the one who initiates a topic, which mostly involves my dating life, but nothing much is said in that department for me since I'm recently single and not mingling. Rayne, on the other hand, is happily in a relationship and loves to talk about it. It isn't like she was bragging about her good, over the rainbow, loving boyfriend, she is just a woman in love. In that case, for the days that passed, all I hear from her are words of love about her boyfriend; and, today wasn't any different.

"Oh my god! Ally... you wouldn't believe what Levi got me last night..." She said full of excitement and energy. I sometimes wonder where she gets that extra energy from; maybe selling good coffee has its good side.

I just found out just recently, from the morning talks we've been having for a week, that she was the owner of my new favorite coffee shop just across the street. You might think that I'm only being friendly to the woman because I might get free coffee from time to time, I'm not. Well, maybe a little, but mostly I like her jumpy personality. It is almost identical to Annette's crazy, wild side.

"What did he give you?" I asked as I locked the door to my apartment.

"This!" she stated as she put her wrist in front of me, showing a white gold charm bracelet.

"Oh... Wow!" I exclaimed, eying her new accessory.

"I know... He was just all sweet last night..." she stated with a sigh, looking dreamy as she thought of her date night with her boyfriend.

"Good for you... But, I think I'm going to go now... I'm late for work." I stated, stepping a foot away from her and deliberately ending the topic. I know it is kind of rude to do so, but I was really going to be late if I let it drag on; plus, there is also another reason I was in a hurry.

"Wait. We are still on tomorrow night, right? You haven't forgotten have you?" She asked aloud, sounding slightly accusing.

I stopped dead on my tracks and turn my attention back towards her, sighing heavily. This was the other thing that I was also trying to avoid. "Uhm... Yeah. Sure. I haven't forgotten." I stated confidently with a small smile, nodding my head in recognition.

After those words left my mouth, I said my farewell and waved goodbye as I stepped in the elevator. I didn't wait for her to join me and just let the door close. I didn't want her to see me go all crazy in the elevator, knocking the air with my fist in frustration. For the whole week, the last week in finalizing my first project, I was in a tight schedule and mountains of work to finish on. I haven't slept a wink in most days, and for those that I had, it was more on power naps. Without the make-up I put on today, I might look like the undead with the growing eye bugs under my eyes. I was at a point of being sleep deprived, and I don't have time to host guest on the day the magazine is finalized.

By the time I arrived at the office, more workload welcomed me. I didn't think much about the hosting thing until I got home that night, when Rayne stopped me by my door as she go out of hers. I don't know whether to be blunt and rude to her in that moment, I just had a really rough day and to be reminded of something I unconsciously, voluntarily agreed - that I now regretted - is pushing my buttons. I forced myself to give her a small smile in reply as I turned to face her when she called my name.

"How's work today? Oh! Did you buy any grocery for tomorrow? Are you going to cook?" She inquired, bombarding me with questions. What is this? An interrogation?

"Work is doing great, almost finish with the project I'm doing. I'm not going to cook since I'm going to be busy for the rest of the morning until afternoon... So... I'm still weighing options for now..." I stated, not really into the conversation, but answered her nonetheless.

"Oh... Okay. Can I suggest something? I have a friend who is a chef. He can help you." She stated with a beaming smile.

I stared at her curiously, but accepted her offer. She gave me her friend's number after which we separated ways, since she was in a hurry to meet her boyfriend. Another dinner date, I guess. I got inside my apartment and shot the door behind me with relief. Finally, some quiet time for myself.

I stashed all of my things in the living room couch and grabbed a bottle of sparkling, white wine and some left over sandwich I made for breakfast and walked towards the balcony. As I stepped outside, the cool breeze of the city envelopes me, calming my sense for the first time today. I sat there for a while, drinking the wine and nibbling on the sandwich, gazing at the view in front of me. I stayed there until my eyes went heavy and sleep is weighing me down. After I cleaned myself up and change into my sleepwear, I didn't bother to think twice on jumping in to bed. In seconds, sleep took me as I let the rest of the night drip away with empty thoughts.

The next day when I got out of my apartment, there wasn't any sign of Rayne. It made me worry that she wasn't there to give me her usual morning chitchat; then, relief took over me when her apartment door opens and a man walked out of her place. I studied him for a second. He was wearing casual clothes, a white v-neck shirt and blue, ragged jean and dark brown boots. His blond hair looked like he just got out of bed, which gave me an idea on what he was doing in there. He notices my stare and gave me a small smile.

"Hi. You must be Ally. Rayne told me all about you. I'm Levi." He greeted and approached, with a hand out towards me.

"It's nice to finally meet the infamous boyfriend..." I said with a small smile and shook his hands.

"So, she talks about me with you?" he asked, letting go of my hand to ruffle his hair in frustration.

"Uhm... a little..." I replied with a smirk. I glance down at my watch, trying to look like I was in a hurry. I didn't want to explain to him any further in detail as to what I and Rayne talk about him. That would definitely be an awkward moment. "I need to go; I'm going to be late for work." I stated as I took a few steps back towards the elevator, and away from him.

"Oh. You're going down? I'll come with you..." he asked, walking towards me.

Before I could react to that, the elevator door opens and he walked in. I stood there, thinking of a good way to not get inside the elevator with him. I don't want to have any further conversation with the man. I hesitated on a few steps by the door and grab my phone.

"You go right ahead. I think I left something... It was nice meeting you." I said hurriedly and turn around. I didn't wait for his goodbye and kept on walking towards my apartment.

When I heard the elevator door close, I turned around and sighed in relief. I walked back to the elevator and pressed the button, waiting for it to go up and hoping I didn't have another encounter like that. I felt relieved that the elevator was empty when it opened. I stepped inside and pressed the Lobby floor, humming to myself. As the door begun to close, I saw in my peripheral vision of a man running towards me, but it closes before I got a good look at him. Then, suddenly, the door opens, revealing a man in leather jacket and black jeans who was out of breath. His honey brown hair a mess, and his chestnut brown eyes weary.

"You could have... helped out... lady..." he said in between breaths.

"I'm sorry. I didn't see you." I stated back in a small voice, slightly shaken at the sight of him.

He got inside the elevator and stood beside me, his eye rapping me from head to toe, checking me out. Pig.

"You must me the new tenant who's hosting tonight..." he stated as the elevator door closes and descended down.

"Yeah... I'm Allison." I said nodding my head towards him in acknowledgment yet kept my eyes away from him.

"Evan Morris. Nice too meet you." he offered a hand in front of me, which I shook for a second and let go when his grip tightens slightly.

"Nice meeting you too." I replied back in a stern voice, eying him deadly as I let go of his hands.

I was glad that the door opened after I said that, which made my getaway fast and shift. I didn't hesitate to get out of that elevator before him and walked as fast as I could. I don't really know nor have any idea what is wrong with men these days. Why couldn't I have a good simple conversation with one who isn't my brother?

For the rest of the day, I was in work mode, finalizing the last minute touches for the next issue of FACE magazine. Trying to head the creative team for the first time is tough, and I hope that the Editor would also see my work as a potential for the Art Editor position, the job I was aiming for months now since the current one is going to resign soon. Stacey Lane is a great Art Editor, the only reason for her resignation was that she is pregnant and her husband wants her to be a full-time mother. I was deeply devastated when I heard that news before I started rejoicing on the fact that the position I've been eying since collage is within my gasp.

I don't have any aversion to woman wanting to be a mother, but could they be a mother and have their dream job? I don't see why she would give it up - though, I am overjoyed - but, it's a waste of talent. Stacey could seriously kick some ass in design, but she is willing to throw it because her husband told her to.

"Allison. I wouldn't expect you to understand my point of view. You are a great woman with an ambition. You plan your actions and you don't let other people tell you otherwise... But, when you met that person... things will change, Ally. I was once like you. But, now... I'm going to be a mother." She stated and looked down at her growing belly button. These were her words to me when I asked her about it. The words the kept on replaying in my head whenever I see her.

At the moment, as I sat beside her and listen to her talk in front of the whole creative team, being the Art editor she is, those words she said to me played in my head. When we finished the meeting, I stayed behind as I watched her stacks the file in front of her.

"Do you need some help with that?" I asked with a small smile.

"Allison. What are you still doing here? Aren't you busy with the finalization? I am handing this position over to you, so you should do an awesome job on this one." She replied sternly, yet her lips twitched slightly into a smile.

"So, how is he?" I asked, ignoring her words, and pointed at her belly.

"SHE is doing fine, thank you very much." She replied, emphasizing her guessed gender with conviction.

"I still think it's a 'he' though..." I teased back with a smirk.

This has been going on for awhile between us. She refused to know the gender of her unborn child and wanted the full surprise when he or she came out. So, I made it into a bet with her, just for fun. She deeply felt that it was going to be a girl, which I return think of it as a boy since it wouldn't be much fun to have the same guess.

"So, I heard about the breakup... how are you holding up? And the arm?" she said, her voice turn soft as she looked at me worriedly.

"Where have you been? That news is already ancient, Stay..." I snorted and smirked at her words, brushing it off.

"Well... I know I've been preoccupied lately... And, I'm sorry if I haven't been much there when you got into the accident... I know this has been a tough month for you..." she started, pausing once in awhile as she thought of her words carefully.

"Stay... If you give me this job out of sympathy, then don't give me this job at all. I'm fine. And, it's okay. But, I want to get this with all honesty and because I could kick ass as an Art Editor than you." I said to her seriously, but smirked coyly at the end.

"I understand." She nodded and smiled at my words. "But, you aren't their yet in terms of my design standards..." She said with a teasing smile.

After our chitchat, I went back to work recharge with more inspiration and challenge myself to do a much better job than our - almost retiree - Art Editor. By the end of the day, I had finished everything and had the final approval of the Editor that it was ready for printing. I let out a sigh of relief and gave myself a good pat as I walked out of the company building. I walked back to my apartment feeling a sense of release from the entire work load I had for the rest of the week. As I got inside the elevator, I thought of giving myself a nice glass of wine to celebrate.

When the elevator door opens on my floor, all feeling of happiness and relief wash out of me as a smiling Rayne stood in front of my apartment door with two guys behind her. Then, something just dawn on me. I have completely forgotten about the get together I'm going to host tonight.

---

Hey everyone. It's been a battle as I edit and post this chapter. It's a tough week for my family and for the rest of my countryman.

Thus, I dedicate this chapter to my fellow Filipinoes who have been affected by the Typhoon. I pray for their safety and well-being.

Happy reading. ;)