Family

The house echoed with the shouting of "Ramu kaka, Ramu kaka". No one else dared to speak as they knew it would only lead to angry words being thrown at them.

 An old man entered the room and continued shouting, "Took you so long, do you know how long I have been calling you kaka? I am getting late and I can't find my important file. I have been working on that file for God knows how many days. Just go and search for it as fast as you can." Ramu Kaka nodded and left to find the file. The man looked at himself in the mirror and then headed downstairs.

He went to the dining hall, only to find his angry mother waiting for him there. "Sanskar Maheswari, what do you think you are? Your plate number doesn't give you the privilege to come late. Do you have any idea how afraid I was? No news from your side!" His mother went on ranting. Sanskar was shocked to hear his mother scolding him for the first time. He knew it was his fault for being late due to a meeting and then going to a bar for a drink. He deserved to be scolded. "Mom, I'm sorry," he moved towards his mother and hugged her. She hugged him back and said, "I was just so afraid, Sanskar. I don't want to lose you again." Tears filled her eyes.

"Mum, you are never going to lose me. Don't ever think about that, okay?" he hugged her again. Just then, his sister entered the room. "Wow, all the love is showered towards Bhaiya, and here I am, a sad little girl standing alone," she sighed dramatically. Sanskar and his mother laughed and he called her to come and join them. Ramu Kaka came with the file and gave it to Sanskar, who left without even listening to what they were going to say.

"Mom, I am worried about him," his daughter told her. "I know, Ragu. He is just hiding behind his workload to hide his sorrows," her mother said with tears coming down her cheeks. "Mom, you said that he will be fine if we leave him alone, but it has been two years. He is not himself anymore." Her mother sighed and said, "Ragini, we could just wish to God that someone comes into his life and changes everything. Someone who can make him laugh and feel like himself again. Like he used to be all these years ago." She then left the room.

Ragini wiped away her tears and looked towards a portrait of a smiling girl. "I don't remember you. I was only 12 when you went away. It has been 10 years and yet your absence is missed dearly. You are my sister. I wish you were here to tell Bhai that he needs to move on. I wish you were here to bring a smile to Bhai's face again." Saying this, Ragini left without noticing that someone was behind her.

Sanskar was standing in front of the portrait and spoke, "Pari di, I really wish you were here. You could keep this family alive and save it from falling. I am a lost cause. I don't know how to look after my family. Ragini was right. If you were here, you could bring a smile to our family, and I could smile seeing everyone happy. I miss you, Pari di. I miss you." He then left to get some important documents but could not stop himself from listening to Ragini. He realized that no document was important anymore. He just wanted to get away from the house as soon as possible.

He took out his phone and called someone. "Hello, Sanskar," the caller said. "Laksh, could you please meet me on MG road take the file, and attend the meeting? I am not feeling right." "Is everything fine, Sanskar? You sound low," Laksh asked in a concerned tone. "Yes, Laksh, everything is fine. Just come and get the file, please," he told him. "Okay, Sanskar. I'll meet you there at 10," Laksh said before cutting the call. Sanskar stared at his phone for longer than needed and said, "Everything is fine" to reassure himself. "Everything is not fine," Laksh said after cutting the call.