A Change

Swara was singing while getting ready for college. Today was an important day for her, but she had not yet told her parents. After getting ready, she said her prayers and walked towards her college, feeling nervous. As she headed towards her class, she heard someone shouting her name. It was her best friend Tina, who hugged Swara. "Are you nervous, Swara?" Tina asked after seeing her nervous face. Swara was about to reply when she was called by one of the peons and asked to go to the dean's office. She said goodbye to Tina and went to the dean's office.

"Sir, may I come in?" Swara asked her dean. 

"Yes, yes, Swara, you are most welcome. Please have a seat," he replied.

Swara nervously took a seat in front of him. 

"First of all, Swara, I want to congratulate you. You have been awarded a scholarship," he announced. 

Upon hearing the news, Swara started dancing uncontrollably with excitement, before eventually coming back to her senses. 

"I'm sorry sir, I got excited," she said, beaming with joy. 

"It's okay, Swara. This is a big opportunity, not everyone is fortunate enough to receive a scholarship. I am proud of you, but at the same time, we will be losing one of the best students," he said with a smile.

"Yes, sir. I will also miss this college. Thank you so much for believing in me. Whatever I am today, it is because of you," replied Swara gratefully.

He smiled, feeling proud of Swara. She bid him goodbye and left his office. On the way out, she met a friend and shared the news about her scholarship. However, she was also worried as she had not told her father about the scholarship program, and she knew it would take a lot of courage to talk to him about it.

After gathering courage from her best friend, Swara stood in front of her father with her head hung low. Her father had a stern face, and without saying a word, he left the room. Swara saw her father leave with tears in her eyes and she ran towards her room, closing the door behind her. Her mother called her several times, but she did not respond. Swara was crying her heart out and felt like her only dream had shattered into pieces.

At 10:00 PM, Swara woke up from her sleep due to a knock on the door. She thought she could no longer hide and had to face the reality that she could not do anything. Slowly, she opened the door, only to find her father standing there with a plate of food. He came inside the room, and Swara followed him. She sat beside him on the bed, and her father started feeding her.

When you were born, Swara, it seemed like a miracle. I got my promotion, and your mother's business was at its peak. You were our first daughter, and they say daughters are blessings, and you truly are ours. When you told me that you got a scholarship, I couldn't express how I felt. I was happy and proud, but sad that you would leave us. It's very difficult for me, Swara. Shekhar sees his daughter and has tears in his eyes. Without saying a word, Swara hugs him. 

"Swara, I may not say it often, but you are everything to me. I can't imagine my life without you, and always remember I am very, very proud of you," Shekhar told his daughter while cupping her face and kissing her forehead. 

"You should start packing, Swara," Shekhar said with a smile. 

"You are going to our dream college, Swara." 

Swara instantly hugged him. "I love you, Dad. You are the best dad, I love you."

"I love you too," Shekhar replied.

After a conversation, Shekhar returns to his room where Sharmistha is standing with tears and a smile on her face. "That was beautiful. Our little girl has grown up," Sharmistha tells him. Shekhar replies, "Whatever her age, she will always be my little girl." Sharmistha nods and hugs Shekhar. Meanwhile, in another part of the house, Adarsh sits on a bed and looks at a photo, tears slipping from his eyes.

Days pass, and the time comes for Swara to leave. Adarsh hears a knock on his door and finds Swara standing there with a smile. "I thought you would leave without saying goodbye," Adarsh tells her. Swara rolls her eyes and hugs him. "How could I go without saying goodbye to my only brother, my pillar?" Adarsh smiles, but his eyes remain sad. Swara touches his hands and says, "Whatever happened in the past, it was not our mistake. You did the right thing, bhaiya, believe me." Adarsh replies, "You are younger than me, Swara, and you are assuring me this?" Swara hugs him and says, "Younger or not, I know that you were not wrong. No matter what, bhaiya, I will always be on your side. Just remember this, okay?"

He gives Swara a smile and nods, "I love you and I will miss us."

"I will miss you too, bhaiya, and I love you too," Swara replies after her conversation with Adarsh. She heads towards her room when Uttara appears behind her.

"Thank God, now I will get the whole room," Uttara exclaims.

Swara rolls her eyes, "What childish behavior, Uttara."

Uttara snorts, "Oh, look who's talking."

"Because of this behavior, I will not miss you at all," Swara tells Uttara.

"The feeling is mutual," Uttara retorts, running away. Swara chases her and catches her, and they both start laughing with tears in their eyes. Uttara hugs Swara, and they both cry.

"I hate you," Uttara says.

"I hate you too," Swara replies.

Shekhar and Sharmistha watch their daughters with moist eyes.

At the station, Swara's mother is crying and giving her instructions, "Swara, don't roam around alone at night, okay? And eat your food on time."

"Mom, shh, I know what to do and what not to. You've been telling me this for about a week now," Swara reassures her.

"What to do, Swara? You have never gone this far, and I am concerned about you. How will you do your chores on your own and all?" her mother asks.

"Mom, like you said, I have never gone far. But now it's time for me to go. How will I learn if you do all the chores? I'm going to miss you, Mom. I love you," Swara says, hugging her.

"I love you too, Shona," her mother replies.

Swara bids farewell to her family and happily boards the train. She looks back at her family standing there, watching her go, with tears in her eyes. She knows it's time to live her dreams.

As the train pulls out, Swara starts dreaming about her life in the city of dreams, Mumbai. Little does she know, her life is about to change forever. A storm is waiting for her, ready to drain her happiness.