"Unfortunately, no," I sighed. "But Stiles was right about the murderers-"

With this news, the boy slammed his book closed excitedly and clenched his hand into a celebratory fist.

"-It calls the kanima a weapon of vengeance," I continued. "There's a story in there about a South American priest who uses the kanima to execute the murderers in his village."

"See? Maybe it's not all that bad," Stiles offered with a shrug.

Allison shook her head. "Until the bond grew strong enough and it started to kill whoever he wanted it to."

"Just kidding. It's all bad. All very very bad."

"The thing is, the kanima is actually supposed to be a werewolf but it can't be until-"

My sister's sentence dropped off temporarily when another student walked past our aisle, leaving Scott to read aloud from our tablet notes to finish her statement. "Until it resolves that in it's past which manifested it."

 "Okay," Stiles huffed, leaning in closer to our shelf barrier. "If that means Jackson could use a few thousand hours of therapy, I could've told you that myself."

I filed my current book away and picked at the broken spine of another.

"What if it has something to do with his parents? His biological parents."

"Yeah, does anybody know what actually happened to them?"

"Lydia might," Allison offered.

"But what if she doesn't know anything?" Scott worried.

"Well," my sister put away her novel and zipped up her bag. "Jackson doesn't have a restraining order against me so I'll talk to him myself."

Immediately picturing the worst and imagining Jackson breaking out into the kanima at school, I worried for my sister's safety. Obviously she wasn't a murderer, but I had no idea how strong him and his master's bond was. For all we knew, Jackson could've already been killing whoever the one controlling him wanted. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

I squirmed and the teen wolf protested her idea as well. "But-"

"Scott, you can't do anything," Allison defended the plan. "You have a makeup exam, remember?"

As he let out a heavy sigh of frustration, Allison took the opportunity to reach her hand through the gap between the books and rest it over his. Over the shelf, I watched Scott's eyes flicker from their hands up to her face before he nodded; remembering my twin sister's mantra of independence. 

"I can take care of myself," she assured with a grin.

"I know you can take care of yourself but if you get hurt while I'm busy writing some stupid test, someone will need to take care of me," he insisted. "If Jackson does anything, run the other way. Anything weird, bizarre, just... anything."

"Anything like...?"

Suddenly, Stiles burst forward and stuck his upper body through the space between books. His head floating between editions of the same Charles Dickens novel, he squinted at us. "Anything evil."

I rolled my eyes playfully at his face a few inches from ours before pressing my palm against his forehead and shoving him back through the shelf to his original position. He made a strangled noise and knocked a few books over in the process.

"Okay," he sputtered, straightening up and motioning from himself to me. "What's our job?"

"We can talk to Lydia," I told him. Knowing the level of closeness her and her boyfriend had reached while they were still together, I trusted she would at least know something. Although they were usually cold towards each other ever since breaking up, they had spent more time with one another than any of us had. "Hopefully she'll have some information about Jackson for us."