30

(I didn't know what to put as the picture but this one seemed appropriate for this chapter)

I'm tired of all of this. Tired of the poking, and prodding. I want it to stop! They'll never understand what it's like to be trapped. I heard that we landed and they're on their way to the Stark tower. What are they going to do about me and Buck? I opened the door to the cage silently and slipped out. Bucky was asleep when I found him but when I stepped closer to him he woke up.
"Della! What? Where are you going?," he whisper-shouted.
"I can't stay here any longer Bucky. They're never gonna let me out of that cage!"
He didn't say anything. He didn't have to he knew I was right. "We should stock up on food and weapons if we're gonna leave," he started getting up.
"I'm sorry Bucky, but I'm not taking you with me," I looked away from him when I said this so I didn't see his reaction.
"What do you mean?"
"I want you to stay. Stay here and help them fight. Protect them from me."
"You are not his weapon anymore, Della!," he stood abruptly and grabbed me by my shoulders. "You are not trapped anymore! You're free!"
"The way they look at me, the way they treat me, it's like I never left," I was crying by then. "They'll always be watching me, testing me, it will never stop!"
"Please don't leave. You'll only do more harm. Stay and you will make the demands! You won't be caged any longer!"
I didn't say anything because if I did I would agree with him and stay. "I'll think about it. For now, I'm gonna go clear my mind."
"I'll go with you."
"No, no, no, stay here and rest. I'll let you know what I decide."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
He was unsure but eventually he agreed. I gave him a quick hug before I made my way to the exit. I was speeding down the steps when someone grabbed my arm.
"Where are you going?," it was Pietro.
Great, how am I gonna get out of here? What if he snitches on me? Unless.
"Don't even think about it. I have been with Wanda since birth, I know her powers."
"Cute. But you don't know mine so," I was raising my fist to knock him out when he stopped me.
"Look. I just want to know where you're going."
"I don't have time for this!," I sped away but he caught me by the arm again. "I'm leaving, alright."
"Why?"
"Because I can?" I started to dart away but five seconds later he grabbed my arm again. "If you fucking grab me one more time I will stab you!"
"You can't leave, this is like a plane, how will you get off?"
I stood there and started tapping my foot. "We're already on the ground, dude, I can leave."
"If you leave now, they'll only track you down. They'll throw you back into the cage and you won't get out. Stay and help us."
"No." I started to turn but he darted in front of me, blocking my way.
"Why do you want to leave? Why do you want to be hunted like an animal?"
"I rather be outside of a cage than in one."
"I understand." He paused. "Will-."
"What do you mean you understand?! You don't know what it's like to have that monster watch over you like you're the juiciest steak he's ever seen. You don't know the abuse I went through! None of you son's of bitches will know what it's like."
"I do not know. But I do know what it's like to be in a cage."
I didn't say anything in response.
"Follow me, I would like to show you something. After if you change your mind then you can leave."
I hesitated. "Where to?"
"You'll see."
He zoomed away, I could leave now but he has me intrigued. I followed behind him to a small storage room, there were boxes and papers and stuff. He went over to one of the boxes and lifted it out, it had my name written on it.
"What's in there?"
"We had all of your stuff moved to the new base we had set up. Wanda," he stopped talking when he saw my face. "You know she is truly sorry for what happened, she didn't know."
"When she apologizes to me, I'll consider forgiving her."
He looked grim. "My sister packed a box of some things that would help you remember your humanity." He opened it, my heart dropped in recognition. Inside there were photographs, small knick knacks, accessories like rings and bracelets, a phone, and a bunch of other cool things I had collected over the years.
"I wanted to show you who you used to be. Who you still are."
I wanted to tear the box open in frustration, I wanted to scream until my vocal chords exploded. I had to hold it together though, at least until this guy left.
"What do you want because I've made up my mind." I walked behind the desk, as an act of shielding myself from him and to keep an eye on who was going to come through that door. I was shaking now but I couldn't let him see that. He grabbed my phone from inside of the box and turned it on.
"That is what you wanted to show me?"
"No, I wanted to show you some photos."
I looked at him quizzically.
"They were from when you first got here," he leaned down to show me. There were pictures of me, some of them with the Avengers, the party they threw for me when I joined. There was even one of me and Pietro together. I blinked back some tears that threatened to fall.
"That is you. This is you," he pointed to the box. "You might have left but you never did. That monster just pushed and shoved you down inside. Now it is time for you to live again."
I wanted to sob uncontrollably but I wouldn't.
"Want me to leave?"
"Yes."
He nodded and left. Once I knew he was gone I let go of my emotions and cried. I fell to the floor and looked through all of the photos on my phone and cried even more. When I knew for sure I couldn't cry anymore I got up and went to the box. I looked at all of the cool things I had like rocks, buttons, or sea shells. This was me. What happened to that girl? Over time in that place, I had Ansel to talk to. He would tell me stories from his past and make me laugh after a horrible training day. He kept me safe and in check. Without him to reassure me that I was still human really messed with who I was these past few days.
What Pietro did for me today was how they should've been when they found me. Not scared but happy that they finally found me. They should have rejoiced in happiness not sorrow. They should've talked to me instead of locking me up in a cage. In the end I knew I had to stay. Live my life on the run, or live my life helping others like me? I wasn't going to live in that cage any longer. I'm gonna choose to live free.

*Pietro's POV*
I hope I did the right thing. When I really missed her I would go and look at her things. It sounds weird, right? We all missed her very much and that guy was right, we should have fought harder for her freedom. She was scared, she shouldn't have been treated that way. I hope she changes her mind, if she does I will do anything to see that she is comfortable again. I know what it's like to be seen and treated as a weapon. It never ends. The looks, the talks, there's always something someone says or does that puts you back into the hole you made for yourself. A hole that no matter what happens you won't come out.