Chapter Twenty

"Let me guess. You're the anonymous caller?" Jace asked Tessa.

"I am. I couldn't think of any other way to get you guys to come down here without arousing suspicion. So calling in anonymously was the best I could come up with," Tessa closed the manhole cover with a grunt. "You saw what was down there, right? All those computers? And the major corporate websites?"

"Yeah. What was all that?" Alec stood next to her. She was so small and delicate, but her personality was commanding; she had a presence about her that Alec admired.

"That....is one of Valentine's many command stations that he'll use once he gets his hands on the CUP. Plug it in to one of the stations and he'll have access to anything he wants in the city." Tessa looked over her shoulder as she spoke. She seemed nervous about something.

Magnus gently touched her elbow. "Tess? What's wrong?"

Tessa pulled her hood back up over her face. "I've been being watched the past couple days. Valentine's men know I've been paying close attention to them lately. Unfortunately, I've fallen under their radar."

"We can protect you. Alec and Jace are fantastic cops. If I'm not dead yet, then that says a lot," Magnus pointed at the two detectives and nodded enthusiastically. "Trust me. These guys are the ones you want by your side during times like these."

"Why are you watching them anyway? What's your interest in Valentine?" Alec asked her.

Tessa craned her neck to look up at him. She hated feeling small. "I have a beef with Valentine. He has someone I love held captive. This was the easiest way I could think that could lead me to him."

Jace sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Come with us. We'll put 24 hour surveillance outside your house-"

"I'm homeless," Tessa almost whispered. "I'm homeless. I used to live in the Downworlder headquarters but the place was raided by Valentine's men the other night. I lost everything I had....which wasn't a whole lot."

Alec frowned and glanced at Magnus, who looked angry more than anything else. "I'll take you home with me. You'll be safe there. No one suspects a cop to live up in a crappy old loft."

"Beats living underground like ants," Tessa offered him a small smile. "I appreciate the offer but I don't want to risk getting you or your friends and family killed. I'll be fine on my own."

"Tess......don't do this. Come with us. We'll protect you from Valentine's men-" Magnus was cut off when Tessa embraced him in a tight hug. He sighed, hugging her back. "There's nothing I can do to change your mind?"

"You know there isn't. I have to find him, Magnus. He'd do the same for me," Tessa kissed his cheek. "Don't forget about the computers down there. There's more like that throughout the city but I don't know all the locations. And don't let Valentine get the CUP."

Before any of the men could get in another word, Tessa easily climbed the fire escape onto the roof of the building next to them, disappearing from their sight.

"Well then. She's certainly....something," Jace said. "Was she an ex lover of yours?"

"No. She's a very good friend of mine. I'd be dead long ago if it wasn't for her. She's like a little sister to me," Magnus cleared his throat. "Alrighty then. If we're done here, I'd like to return to the precinct. Or Alec's place. Anywhere but here, basically."