1.1 - Particle Accelerator Explosion

DISCLAIMER I did not create the flash or any of its characters. This is a fan fiction. The twist in the plot, however, was purely my idea. Happy reading :)

"There he is," dad whispers nodding his head towards him.

I look over the crowd and find him easily. Barry Allen is standing among the applauding audience. This is the first time I've seen him in person. I've only seen him on a screen a few times. I was never allowed to see him before today. Dad was afraid I would attack him or something. I probably would have, but together we have prepared. We can't ruin the whole plan with one mistake.

He looks so innocent standing there with his best friend/foster sister/crush Iris. I've learned the names and faces of those he loves. Except for his father, who is in prison for life and won't matter anyway. I want to get closer to him. I have to always have the upper hand.

"Thank you. My name is Harrison Wells. Tonight the future begins," I was so distracted I didn't notice Dad leave my side and go down to the podium.

By "Dad" I'm not referring to my actual dad of course. He was killed by the flash. I call the man "Dad" because he has earned the title. He has been nothing but a father to me. He doesn't care what I call him, but because of the respect I have for him I stick to Dad.

"The work my team and I do here will change our understanding of physics, will bring about advancements in power, advancements in medicine, and trust me that future will be here faster than you think."

"Hey!" I hear a feminine voice react. I turn my head to see someone running off with Iris's bag. Followed by Barry. Followed by Iris. I would follow too if I wasn't on a stage in front of hundreds of people. More counting all the people watching on the news.

As soon as his speech is finished he takes his spot back next to me. The Particle Accelerator is set to explode soon. We estimated less than an hour. He told me to go to our secret room inside Star Labs with Gideon. When I asked what about him he told me if he disappeared it would be too suspicious. Something had to happen to him. I refused to leave him. Insisting he heals quickly and I don't I finally give in and head to my room.

"Good evening Jesse."

"Hey, Gideon."

"Why aren't you celebrating?"

"I needed some air away from the crowds."

"Well, I hope you can return soon."

"Thanks Gideon." For an AI, Gideon is quite caring.

Even in the safety of this room I can still hear the sound of the explosion. I suddenly begin to worry for the safety of my friends I've made during my time here. Couldn't we have at least warned them and told them there was a risk? I worry about Caitlin and Ronnie. I worry about Cisco and Hartley. I worry about the man who saved my life. I begin to wonder if it's really worth it. I have to repeatedly remind myself of the rewards that will come from this. Returning him home.

I curl into a ball on the floor and try to comfort myself. Tears begin to run down my face. Nothing has prepared me for the reality that was sinking in with the plan. I thought I had done everything to get ready. I had memorized every detail, but as things actually start to happen, I lose it.

* * * * *

"Jesse? Jesse wake up. Jesse are you okay?" I wake to the sound of his voice, and slowly sit up.

When I open my eyes I see a wheelchair by the door.

I start to panic thinking it's for me. Did something happen I don't remember? Was I harmed in the accident?

"I was paralyzed last night in the explosion," he begins to explain.

"Then how are you crouching next to me?"

"I was paralyzed. You know I heal fast. They let me out of the hospital this morning. They were shocked by my progress and told me I could go if I was careful. By now I'm completely healed, but that is between us. As far as everyone else is concerned I am paralyzed for life.

"Now what?"

"We wait for a bit of time to go by then go get Mr. Allen. For right now, let's go home."

"Are you I actually going to let me drive?"

"It seems I do not have a choice," he replies with a small smile on his face.