Some Time To Recover

The kamikas were grateful to have a calm night pass with no strange incidents. They rose in the early morning and packed up their camp, then walked to Narusawa to catch a bus back to Tokyo. Their latest adventure had exhausted them and they had suffered a major loss, but the world wouldn't stop turning in circles just for them. The week and routines proceeded regardless of their wills.

A few days had passed since the ice cave incident, and Coalt was driving his motorbike through the busy streets of Tokyo. He had made a few deliveries that night and was returning to the restaurant for more. When he parked the bike at the back of the restaurant, he saw someone familiar coming toward him. He turned the loud engine off and removed his helmet.

"Ayame? What are you doing here?" he asked, surprised to see her there at that time of the night.

The girl walked to him and smiled at the funny look on his face.

"Hi. I was shopping nearby and decided to pass by here." Coalt noticed she was carrying some bags from a market up the street. "Luna just called to tell me she has some news. She asked me to help tell everyone."

"You could have sent me a message." The brunette still didn't get what she was doing there, and the Japanese girl scratched her neck.

"Like I said, I was nearby and I remembered you work here on the night shift, so I tried my luck," Ayame told him. "I didn't wait five minutes and you appeared."

"I guess you were lucky. I'm coming and going all the time." He found her unexpected visit nice. Usually the ring bearers didn't cross paths during the week because of their jobs or studies, and the best they could do was message occasionally to ensure that everyone was safe. When he pondered what Luna's news might be, he became serious. "Is Arika all right?"

Ayame nodded, which relieved him a little. "Luna has been helping her every day. She told me Arika is grieving, as expected, but she's been able to follow her on the things they need to do." She paused a moment before continuing. "And Luna had an idea on how to make Arika feel better! This weekend will be the Momiji Festival at the Yakuo-in Temple."

Coalt was following everything Ayame was telling him, but she lost him in her last phrase. "Momi-what?"

"It's the Autumn Leaf Festival, to celebrate the vivid colors of the leaves during autumn," Ayame explained to him. "And since we're going to a temple, we can pray for Yuko's soul and wish for Arika's well-being. Luna thinks it might ease her mind a bit."

The brunette nodded. That was actually a good plan.

"Oh, and there is more!" Ayame said excitedly, "Luna invited everyone to stay a night at her family's Inn close to the temple. She's keeping a secret about the place, though; all she said was that there is something very nice we'll discover this weekend."

"Geez. How many businesses is Luna's family involved with?" Coalt shook his head. However, he liked the idea very much. After all they had been through, enjoying themselves and resting for once wouldn't hurt.

Ayame was happy that he hadn't refused, but now came the scary part. She looked down at her hands and picked at her fingernails, then spoke without looking at him. "Say, Coalt..."

"Yes?"

"During the Festival, do you mind going with–"

The backdoor suddenly slammed open. The loud slam startled them both, and Ayame felt her heart almost jump out of her mouth. From the door, a large Chinese man stared angrily at Coalt. He adjusted his white cooking vest and walked toward them with a scowl, balancing a bag of steaming food containers in his arms.