26. allegiance and weaknesses

Chloe,

Nothing's wrong, but nothing's particularly interesting either. You know me, always getting bored. Oh, I just wish I was there with you to snuggle up and watch stupid movies on Netflix while a batch of brownies is burning in the oven.

Jack's great, but I always loved him because we shared a mutual interest in drama and gossip. Yeah, pathetic. I know you're not into that Chloe, which is why you should be careful.

Love you,

Mon

I remained silent as Francis guided me into the same makeup studio I'd been in with the girls earlier. Now, it was littered with half-filled glasses and sticky pools of spilt drinks.

Mutual issue? What did he mean?

"As you're apparently aware, my girlfriend is fucking your boyfriend," Francis said casually, his hazel eyes burning into mine in a way that sent chills down my spine.

"Straight to the point then," I said, putting some distance between us by moving to the other side of the room. I wasn't going to lie, to a degree Francis Greene terrified me. Ever since hearing him yell, and do God-knows-what to Lola last week I had learnt that he had the potential to be much more dangerous than I'd first thought.

"No point in playing around," he said. "Like you seem to be doing."

I froze. "What do you mean?"

Francis laughed delicately, running his finger over the back of a leather chair. "That first night we met, you didn't seem to be particularly interested in William. Seemed like you were more interested in finding someone to get with."

"What are you implying?" I asked, proud of how my voice didn't waver despite my whole body aching in pain. Fatigue was pulling at my muscles, and my stomach definitely didn't feel stable.

"Nothing. That's your business. But the fact that Lola has decided to sleep around with Will creates... issues."

"Sounds like they've already been dealt with," I said, trying to find anything to shut him down. "Her and William ended it long before he started dating me. It's old news."

Francis smirked. "Is that what he told you?"

I watched him with narrow eyes as he paced, picking up things here and there to examine them as if he ruled the freaking place. He probably thought he did, considering this was Maddy's house.

"Lola's phone history this morning would have implied something else." He looked up from his dawdling to give a small, slightly triumphant, smile. "Three calls to him last night alone."