Finally deciding, I nodded. "Yeah, that sounds fun. What time?"               

"Well, I have soccer tryouts until six, so... seven?" he asked with a hopeful look.

I nodded again. "Yeah, seven sounds great."

"Really?" he asked, sounding almost surprised. "I mean, okay. Great." He smiled at me and I smiled back. I felt a pang of guilt as I remembered Mr. Taylor. But why? It wasn't like I had a thing for him... right? Besides, Hunter and I are just friends anyways. I doubted we would ever be anything more. But I still couldn't shake the guilt...

"...walk you to class?"

I shook my head and looked at him with a confused look on my face. "What?"

"Can I walk you to class?" he asked again, looking a bit uncomfortable.

I smiled big, pushing my thoughts, and uncertain feelings, out of my mind. "Of course."

We began walking towards my next class and started a conversation along the way. "What class do you have next?" I asked him.

"Marine Biology," he answered. "You?"

"Space Science," I said. "So we're pretty much going to the same place."

"I guess we are," he said, chuckling a little. He had probably the best laugh I have ever heard. It was deep and rich, and for some reason reminded me of Mr. Taylor's laugh, although it was nothing like it. I needed to get Mr. Taylor out of my head, and my growing desire to find out what he really wanted with me.

We walked up the stairs and down the science hall. We got to my classroom and Hunter reached for the door handle. He opened it for me and I stepped inside, giving him a tiny wave before I lost sight of him. He smiled back at me and I turned towards the class. Everyone, including the teacher, was looking at me.

"Ms. Winters, you need to get here on time," she said, marking something on her clipboard. I nodded, ashamed, and quickly found my seat. The teacher, Ms. Webber, began talking once more about the planet and some of the many things that are in space, while I pretended to listen and began thinking. What was tonight going to be like? Would it be too awkward for the both of us? Or just me? Would he try to kiss me at the end of the night, or just keep it cool? There were so many questions about tonight that I wanted to be answered, but sighed in disappointment when I realized I would have to wait and see myself. What would Chloe think? Would she freak out in pure happiness, or be disappointed with me for going out with one of our friends?

"Ms. Winters?"

I looked up at Ms. Webber, who was looking at me expectantly. "Yes?"

"Try and pay attention to my lecture, please," she scolded. I nodded. "Now, can you tell us if the sun is a planet or a star?"

"It's a star," I answered.

"Why?" I groaned inwardly. She just wouldn't leave me alone!

"Because..." I started, trying to think of the right thing to say. "Because of nuclear fusion in the core?"

Ms. Webber gave me a surprised look, and she looked impressed that I would say that. "Yes, and  can you tell us what color the sun really is?"

"It's white," I answered. "It just looks yellow and orange because of how close we are to it."

Ms. Webber looked pleased. "Yes, very good Ms. Winters."

I smiled and felt a sense of pride in myself. What could I say? Science was my thing. Ms. Webber continued to explain why the sun was a star and not a planet while I drifted off into my daydreaming again. Everything she was teaching I already knew from past years in advanced science classes. It was nothing new to me.

I jumped when the bell rang loudly, dismissing classes. I quickly got up and moved out of the room, trying to get passed the other students and out the door. I quickly made my way down the hall and down the two flights of stairs to the third floor.

"Avery, wait up!"

I stopped and turned to see Chloe making her way through the sea of students towards me. I waited until she caught up. She was panting. "Damn, you're fast!"

"Was I really going fast?" I asked, surprised.

She nodded, but then snapped out of panting and stood up straight. She grabbed my shoulders and shook them. "Spill!"

"Spill what?" I asked, getting dizzy from the shaking.

"Hunter told me you guys are going on a date tonight!" she exclaimed. A few of the passing students eyed us, but we ignored them. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

"It kind of just happened," I said, breaking free from her grip. "Besides, it's not a date. We're just hanging out."

"Oh, it's a date alright. And I'm going to help you get ready!" she said, determined. I laughed and nodded in agreement. "What do you have next?"

"Free period," I answered, sighing in relief.

"I'm interning for the library. You want to help me so we can talk?" she asked as we began walking towards the library.

"Sure," I said. "I'd like that." The library was by far my favorite place. I loved to read, no question. Being there with Chloe was what I longed for right now. We entered the library right as the bell rang for students to be in class. Chloe went right to the front desk and placed her backpack behind the counter. I followed her around with the cart of books that needed to be put back in their rightful places.

"Don't look now, but there's the very hot English teacher walking into the library," Chloe said, looking behind me. I spun around and saw Mr. Taylor entering the library, book in hand. He didn't notice me, and I wanted to keep it that way. I quickly ducked behind a bookshelf, and got a strange look from Chloe. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Shut up!" I whispered. "He creeps me out. Just pretend I'm not here!"

She raised her eyebrows and looked back at Mr. Taylor. "Uh, too late."

"What?"

"Mr. Winters? What are you doing?"

I caught my breath and turned my head. I probably looked stupid on the floor, behind the bookcase. Mr. Taylor was narrowing his eyes questioningly at me, peering over the two and a half foot tall bookshelf. I stood up quickly, brushing off my knees.

"I, uh, dropped a book?" I said, not meaning for it to sound like a question.

"Uh-huh," he said, smiling at me. He turned to Chloe. "Hello, Ms. Collins."

"Hi Mr. Taylor," she greeted him, giving him a wave. She went back to putting away books, leaving me alone, and in an awkward position, to talk to Mr. Taylor. He smiled at me, and I tried to smile back as best as I could.

"I need to talk to you," he whispered in a serious voice.

"No," I said, shaking my head. He leaned in closer, but not too close, and I stayed where I was. "Stay away from me."

"I can't do that," he said regretfully. "My room, after school."

"I can't," I said bluntly.

"Why not?" he said, becoming a little frustrated.

"I have a date," I whispered, not sure if I should have told him or not. I saw something flicker in his eyes. Regret? Sadness? I couldn't tell, but It wasn't something a normal teacher should have felt for their student going on a date.

"Fine. Detention after school tomorrow then," he decided.

"What the hell for?" I whispered angrily, remembering I could yell anything.

"For disobeying me?" he said, smiling triumphantly. "I'll see you tomorrow, Ms. Winters." And with that, he walked out of the library, remembering to slip the library book into the return slot before finally going out the door.