"Seth, baby, why did you leave our table?" The queen bee, Stephanie Hanover, asks, draping herself on Seth's arm. She glares at me before putting on a sweet smile.

"I felt like talking to this girl," Seth says, his eyes studying me. He gently removes her arms from his body, obviously not interested.

I look down at the table, messing with a loose string on the sleeve of my hoodie. "But why...her? We're so much more interesting over there," Stephanie tries to persuade.

"But I know everyone over there. I don't know Emery."

"Oh, so that's the bitch's name," she mutters. The bell rings, and I shoot up out of my seat. I grab my bag and rush out, glad to be away from the attention.

What is Seth paying attention to me of all people?

•°•°•

"Wow, Seth was talking to her?"

"Oh my gosh, such a slut."

"I can't believe Seth would waste his time on that bitch when he could have me."

As I scurry out of the school, insults are thrown at me left and right. People whisper rude things to their friends, cackling.

I try to ignore it, busying myself with thoughts of puppies. That usually helps, right?

No, it doesn't.

I sniff, my body cold from the fall season. Even though the sun is shining, there was still an unmistakable chill to the air, signaling winter's soon arrival.

"You need a ride?" I look over, finding Seth in his big black pick up truck. The only thing I know about it was that it had a Chevrolet symbol on it and is probably very expensive.

"No, thanks," I decline, shaking my head. I start walking again.

"Come on, I don't mind. Plus it's cold as hell out here," Seth says, laughing.

"I've always thought hell was supposed to be hot," I say, not even realizing what I was saying.

"Maybe it was so hot it was cold? You know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I guess it could be. I'll tell you when I get there," I blurt out.

"What make you think that?" Seth asks, still driving slowly beside me, his arm around the headrest of the passenger seat.

I shrug. "Lots of things."

"We'll see about that," Seth says. "Hop in, I'll drive you home."

"You live in the other side of town," I argue, stopping on the sidewalk. No, I do not stalk him. The point is, every one knows he lives in the richer part of town.

"So? It's not like I have anywhere to be." Seth really wants to drive me home, doesn't he?

"It's cool. Stephanie is probably dying to see you anyways," I try to reason.

Seth wrinkles his nose. "But I don't want to see her. She just likes me because I'm popular. And apparently I'm pretty."

I laugh, a small laugh, but a laugh nonetheless. "Pretty?"

"Yup. Plenty of people have said that, but I prefer handsome." He makes a weird face, then breaks out laughing.

"Okay," I say.

"Okay to what?"

"Okay as in you can drive me home. But just because I don't feel like walking," I say. Seth grins, unlocking the door.

I realize how tall the truck is in comparison to me. After opening the door, I reach up onto my tip toes and grab the handle.

I pull myself in, shutting the door and buckling. "You almost didn't make it." Seth laughs.

"It's not my fault this thing is really tall," I defend, crossing my arms. I give him my address.

"But you're pretty short, so..."

"I am 5'5, thank you. But you're like a giraffe."

"I am 6'0, thank you very much."

I don't know why I find it so easy to talk to him. Seth just seems like a naturally likable person.

You can't let him get close, Emery. He'll only be hurt in the end.

I sigh, turning to the window. "What's wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing," I respond.

Seth stays silent, but I catch him glancing at me a couple times. We pull up to my small and dirty house with an overgrown lawn.

"Thanks for the ride, Seth."

"Anytime."

•°•°•