...Why?...

#next morning

I woke up by some loud singing and as I managed to open my eyes I saw my family in front of my bed singing “Happy birthday to you…” This was one of the most annoying things that were going on every year on my birthday. “Why can’t you just wake me up and wish me all the best?” My mom elbowed me after that and looked mad at me. But then I just went along with that and smiled. Just like every year before. But this year was different because it’s my 18th birthday. The hopefully best one so far. And I was right, my parents didn’t argue and planned a trip with me and Darcy to a theme park, shopping and dinner in my favourite restaurant. It couldn’t have been a better day! And still the whole time I had that 'beautiful' thing on my mind that happened. At the end of all the surprises we finally came back. It was pretty late but we had a great time. After a long time I was smiling as I came back with my parents. That never happened before! As I got out of the car I noticed Step and Mike talking and walked straight towards them. 

Me: "Hey boys!"

Step: "Hello beauty!"

Mike elbowed him and Step just made a face like "I haven't said anything wrong!" and Mike just smiled that away.

Me: "what are you guys up to?"

Mike: "Well nothing much. We thought you won’t get back. <he looked at the ground>"

Me: "We always make short trips and then get back here. Anyway you know where Gabbe is?"

Step: "Right there!" <he was pointing on the little path that leads to the river close to the house>

Mike: "But could you help me first?"

Me: "Is it important? Because if not I got to talk to Gabbe!" <I said confident> 

Mike just got some kind of shock and a second after straight/concentrated face. 

Step: "Yea, are you sure that it can’t wait? i bet she wants to see him. And i'm sure he would love to get her company back. Since he wasn't that happy for her leaving without saying goodbye.”

me: “I wasn't leaving!”

Mike, Step: “He thought you did. “

The boys looked at each other and I just turned to the direction where the path was and started to walk. Soon I saw Manuel and Teus down by some stones. 

me: "Hey there!"

Teus: "oh...o... "

Was the only thing I could understand because the river flow was really loud… I stepped towards them and they to me so we meet half way. 

Me: “What was it you wanted to tell me earlier? <I smiled>”

Manuel: “Better you didn't... <he trailed and murmured the words>”

I looked shocked at them and for a second I could look over Manuel's shoulder and I saw something I didn't expect. Gabbe was walking in my direction with a girl and I could see they were close. So I turned around and walked away. As I got to the middle of the path I met Mike.

Mike: “Huh, where are you going so fast? Wasn't he happy that you were back? “

Me: “He has better company! I guess he hasn't even noticed me, I was gone the whole day. “