Chapter 11

"We're here."

Amber shut her mouth to prevent her sarcastic reply from escaping. She undid her seatbelt and felt it slide free of her hand and fly back into its holder.

"How are we doing this?" She asked slowly keeping her eyes on the building.

"There's no 'we' on this one, Journey," Dylan said slowly.

She whipped around to look at him. Betrayal filled her green irises before being replaced by white hot anger.

"I'm the only one going in," Dylan continued as he stared back at his furious partner, "Well me and Agent Fuller."

"Why?" Amber nearly screamed at him.

Rhodes glared at her.

"Because even though we're partners on this case, Journey, I still outrank you. I'm in charge now."

He opened his door and stepped out before the speechless brunette could reply.

Her green eyes followed his back as he walked over towards another squad of cop cars that he had called in to help bust The Horseman.

How could she have forgotten how much of a jerk he was? How narcissistic and utterly self motivated? How could she have thought they were partners on this case?

Daniel Atlas's words from the night of the show came back to her in a rush.

"How much, do, you really k-know about him, Agent Journey?"

Reality sucker punched the woman in the gut. She knew practically nothin about Rhodes. Heck, what Merritt had revealed about his father back in the interrogation, was news to her. She knew nothing about her partner. Which made him very untrustworthy.

In fact, as she studied him from her spot within the car, she noticed many things. A nervous jitter in his walk, the way he kept exercising his wrists in circular motions, the way he kept glancing around.

He screamed guilty.

Or nervous, the kind part of her brain argued, He is about to make four arrests.

"About to", is a bit presumptuous isn't it? I mean, with his track record, we haven't exactly been successful, her pessimistic side argued back.

"Shut up!" Amber muttered as she forced her door open and stepped out.

Dylan didn't even turn to look at her before nodding at Fuller and heading towards the entrance. Five or so other cops followed him.

Amber took a step forward before a hand latched onto her upper arm. She turned to see Agent Cowan standing there looking just as disgusted as she was.

"Agent Rhodes said for you to stay here," he said in a thoroughly nasally voice.

"Well he's not here right now," Amber replied tugging to free her arm.

Cowan tightened his grip and pushed his falling glades up the bridge of his abnormally large nose.

"See here, Journey-"

"No Cowan, let me go or so help me you will not be able to walk straight for a week," Amber nearly shouted.

Cowan sent her a confused look.

"What in Helheim is that supposed to mea-"

He was cut off my Amber's foot slamming the space below his belt.
He released her immediately and buckled over gasping.

"Sorry," she muttered before racing down the street.

She had just seen a taxi drive up and had guessed exactly what it meant. She flew towards it and slammed her badge against the window. The little old lady cabbie screamed and placed a hand over her heart.

"FBI OPEN UP!" Amber yelled.

Swearing like a sailor, the lady unlocked the car and Amber yanked open the door.

No one was there.

The brick colored leather cushions were untouched and glossy. A faint sound of the radio gently played in the background.

Amber glanced up at the angry cab driver.

"Where are your clients?"

"I DON'T KNOW! THEY SAID TO BE HERE AT 11 AND ITS ONLY 10:58!" The little woman screamed back, "GET OUT OF MY CAB!"

Amber obeyed and slammed the door shut with perhaps more force than needed.

She heard the squealing of tires and looked up the street.

Three people with bags were quickly shoving there things into another taxi before piling in. The last person looked up the street at Amber and waved.

The familiar black fedora hat rested on Merritt's smug face before he ducked into the cab.

Amber's screams to stop were lost in the screeching of the wheels as the taxi pulled away, heading towards the heart of New York City.

Amber swore angrily before noticing a man race out of the building she and Rhodes had been watching.

A familiar man with spiky brown hair and black shirt. He spun on his heel and saw Amber. Jack Wilder saw her and ran a hand across his face before turning towards an unmanned cop car.

And in that moment Amber noticed something very strange.

Jack Wilder was scared.