Chapter 5

"YOU DID WHAT?"

Agent Cowan, or as Amber liked to affectionately call him, "Agent Cowface" glared at the brunette behind his two inch thick wire-rimmed glasses.

"I told you already," he said in his nasally voice, "We had to let the Horsemen go because we didn't have enough evidence to convict them!"

"NOT ENOUGH EVIDENCE?" Rhodes bellowed, "THEY SHOWERED THEIR AUDIENCE WITH STOLEN MONEY! WHAT DO YOU YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH EVIDENCE?"

Cowan's nostrils flared as he stared back at his furious fellow agent.

"We simply didn't have enough evidence to convict them!"

Rhodes nearly exploded in anger.

"WHAT ARE YOU TA-"

"Rhodes, cool your jets," Amber interjected, shooting him a look.

His eyes blazed as he looked at her.

"I-I-I'm sorry?" He spat, "Cool MY jets? This is my case and they're just letting my convicts strut off!"

"Our case, Rhodes," Amber reminded him irritably.

"Oh I'm sorry," Rhodes snapped sarcastically back, "I forgot you were on this case. Maybe if you did something legitimate, I would notice you."

Hurt flashed through Amber's eyes before being covered up nearly instantly.

Rhodes felt a twinge of regret run through him but it dissipated at brunette's next words.

"When's the last time you've down something "legitimate", Rhodes?" She snarled, "1992? The Big Four case? You've done nothing, just like me. So Keep. Your. Mouth. Shut."

Rhodes glowered at her for a moment before letting out a long breath.

"Fine. Do you have any suggestions for our next move, Journey?" He asked in a tight voice.

Amber nodded.

"We return to the scene of the crime."

Rhodes closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

When he spoke his voice was verging on shouting again.

"Journey, why would we take a step backwards when we need to be going forwards?"

Amber smiled thinly at the frustrated detective.

"Sometimes you have to take three steps back before going two steps forward," she replied.

*************************************

"Who's this guy?" Rhodes asked suspiciously as the pair of FBI agents walked onto the stage, where days before The Four Horsemen had made their first appearance as a team.

The man in question was wearing a small black hat and a matching suit. He also had a scarf thrown casually across his shoulders and was leaning on a silver plated cane, obviously waiting for them. A finely crafted leather shoe gently tapped the floor as he waited. His white beard and mustache contrasted with the darkness of his skin. Impatience was evident across the wizened old face.

"Thaddeus Bradley," Amber replied in an undertone, "Famed magician debunker."

Rhodes nodded and waited for Amber to elaborate.

"He was here and videoed The Horsemen's entire show," she explained, "He is our greatest asset so please Rhodes do whatever you can to, not be yourself."

Rhodes sent her a look.

"What's wrong with myself?"

Amber looked away and waved at Bradley.