The List, pt. 3

The second weekend of November was guaranteed to be eventful. On Sunday there was the first trip to Hogsmeade and the first Quidditch match of the year. Harry and Lily had also arranged to go to Hogsmeade together to catch up—they hadn’t really talked since Severus called her a Mudblood. Harry didn’t tell Severus they were meeting because he didn’t want him to listen in. Raven, however, knew and took Severus to the other side of the town.

Harry listened to Lily’s stories, which were all of the you-had-to-be-there type. They had less to talk about since they didn’t have the same best friends. Harry was careful not to bring up Severus until the right time. 

“So, how’s everyone doing?” Was she wondering about Severus, or truly everyone? 

“Raven’s good. I think…she misses having you around. And Severus is, well, he’s never really good. But the Slytherins stopped harassing him.” 

Lily chewed her lip, then took a long drink of her butterbeer. When the mug was nearly empty, she asked, “So you think he’s really turned around?” 

“It seems that way. Look, I don’t want to talk about it if you’re not comfortable…” 

Lily shook her head. “No, it’s not that, I’m fine. Do you think I’m just not talking to him because I’m stubborn? On second thought, don’t answer that. Listen, I do care what happens to him. But I don’t think we can be friends. He may have left them for now, but there’s a reason he was in the Dark Arts. There’s a reason he called me a Mudblood. That part will stay with him, no matter how you help him, how much he seems to have changed.” 

Harry pressed his lips together and shook his head.

Lily sighed. “Oh, that came out harsher than it sounded in my head. The main thing is, something happened even before that day, and we didn’t get along, and I don’t think things will go back to how they were. Sorry, I don’t think I can talk about it anymore.”

“That’s okay.”

“But you know where I’m coming from?” 

“Sure.”

Lily took another sip of butterbeer, then nearly choked on it. Harry followed her gaze, turning to see. She was staring over his shoulder at the Marauders in the back of the room. Peter spotted her and, despite her hand-motioned threats against it, prodded James, pointing in her direction. James forced Peter’s chubby finger down, chastised him, then, after only a brief glance at Lily, returned to the large piece of parchment the four were working on. 

Lily sat back in shock. “Wow. That was odd.” 

“Yeah, it was.” When had James decided to change his tactics? 

Harry and Lily got up to leave just as the Marauders were on their way out. James lagged behind to hold the door open for them. 

They both thanked him.

“See you, Evans,” James said, then jogged over to the other Marauders.

“Now that was really odd,” Lily murmured, gazing after him. 

In late November, the Marauders organized a night ride on the Black Lake for all of the Gryffindors who were in fourth year and up. They organized a fleet of boats, using the ones first years rode each year on their first visit to Hogwarts.

Harry convinced Severus to go along, since he’d be the only one not going, and it would make a good impression on Lily if he went. 

The Black Lake was flat, a deeper black than the clear sky above them.