chapter 5

My alarm woke me up at a quarter to 5. I rolled over to see my view of the city, not what you'd expect, I'm pretty sure I saw some guy fisting an old woman or something. However, I did get to see my first New York City sunrise, and let me tell you this. It is like seeing the world come back to life after being shot down. I rolled over to see something that scared the crap out of me. Yes it was John's smiling face. He had two travel mugs and said he doesn't like his coffee with milk and made both cups black. He also told me that today would be the beginning of my life in science. I rolled out of bed, and John put my cup down on a table. "We leave in 15 minutes, internship day: 1 starts at 6 and New York traffic is hell" I tried to look professional, I wore a black dress, leggings underneath. I knew I'd have a lab coat. I didn't do my makeup. I would do it on my way if John thinks I should even wear any. I put on my black heels, and walked out to hear the click clack of the heels on the hardwood floor. John stopped me before I got to the main entrance "Before you go, please tell me this, are you on good terms with your ex?"

"No, why?" I said sounding confused "Well, umm, Jason is here"

Once John told me the news, I pushed him out of the way to find Jason looking paler than usual. "Sarah, I'm sorry. I was very homophobic, and disrespectful of your new friends." I looked at john and he understood what I meant because he was walking to the door, John opened it, but Jason ignored John's request. That's when I started pushing him. "Get out" I told him calmly, but Jason still ignored me. "No, I want you back, I still love you. Do you love me?" he asked as he grabbed my hand forcefully, that's when I tried to remain calm, but ultimately failed. "I thought I did, until I saw your dark side. You are homophobic, of all things. I thought you were open minded. You destroyed two relationships last night. Now GET OUT, GET OUT OF MY HOME, GET OUT OF MY FACE, GET OUT" I screamed, John looked worried, I did too, but not because of Jason. I didn't want to wake everyone in our building. This was when I started forcing Jason out of my apartment. A lady peeped her head out of her apartment. "Morning, Mrs. Thompson" John said as he held the door open. She looked at me pushing Jason out "Relationship problems?" the lady said. John smiled "Yes, how did you know?" Mrs. Thompson, looked at Jason. "I saw that man smack another man late last night outside of the building."

Jason had a wild look on his face, and it was a face I'd never seen from Jason before. John turned to Jason, he looked infuriated. That was when he started pushing Jason out too. "What gave you the idea to hit someone, let alone my boyfriend" John said calmly, but Jason continued to instigate, "Ew, don't touch me homo, I don't want you to touch me." Apparently Mrs. Thompson had enough, because she got out of her apartment and said calmly, "I will call the police and press charges of a hate crime, and disruption. Now get out of this building and never return as long as I am living, these two will be accepted by all, and if you are not willing to be accepting, I will call the cops" That must have scared Jason, because he pretty much ran out of the building.

Mrs. Thompson is a small old lady, with the stereotypical old lady look, she had short wavy hair. She had a sweet smile and wore a green and pink plaid night gown. She had a sort of shrill in her voice. "Don't worry sweetie, I know you were trying to help John, that man will never return." John looked relieved, he turned to Mrs. Thompson "This is Sarah, she's interning at the pharmaceutical company that I work at, she will be attending NYU this fall, and she is also brand new to this building." Mrs. Thompson looked at me, and she smiled "Well, welcome my dear. John is a very nice guy and he will take good care of you. If there is anything you need, please feel free to knock on my door." She then started to walk away when John said thank you to Mrs. Thompson. She smiled and returned to her apartment.

We then walked back inside and finished getting ready, then at about 5:15 we left. John looked at me and said "Do you have a lab coat?" I smiled "Yes, I do. It's with..." I couldn't finish my sentence. John must have known who had it, because he turned around and walked back in for about 30 seconds. He returned with a brand new lab coat, it was so new that it wasn't even taken out of the packaging. "You keep it, proxiferin gives these out to employees, so I have about 50 of them. I'll give you four more tonight, then you will have a sterile one each day"