Chapter Three

AUDREY'S P.O.V
We were brought to a cafeteria where we were met with about fifty other people, all teenagers, who had lived through a maze almost exactly like ours. Chuck, Frypan, Newt, Winston, Minho, and I all sat down and a table with two boys.We began to talk with them about what had happened as they escaped their own trial.
"Hey it's Thomas." Chuck said looking towards the door. We all turned to see Thomas standing next to a guard.
"I'll get him." Minho said standing up. I turned back to the boys from the other maze.
"How did you guys get here?" I asked them
"Well when we got out" the tan one began, "we were in this room- almost like a lab or something. Then there was this big loud explosion. Some guys came in. Started shootin' up the place."
"It was intense" the paler one said
Minho and Thomas came up to the table. Minho sat on my left and Thomas on my right.
"How long have you guys been here?" Newt asked
"A day or two." the paler boy answered. He turned around and pointed to a boy who was sitting in the back corner of the room alone. "That kid there- he's been here the longest."
"His maze was nothing but girls." the tanned one added
"Really?" Minho said suddenly becoming really interested and I hit him hard in the arm. He looked at me confused.
"What?" he asked and I raised my eyebrows at him.
"You almost sound jealous of him." I told him. He opened his mouth but I playfully interrupted. "You should really be careful about what you say next Minho." I teased
"Oh please. Like I would think like that when I got you." he said "I was just thinking about how Newtie over here needs a girl friend." Minho patted Newt on the back who rolled his eyes. "Maybe if that shank can hook him up with one of his maze buddies Newt can finally leave us alone."
"I think I'll live without a bloody girl friend." Newt replied
"Damn." Minho mutters leaning closer to me as the other boys began to point out girls around the room to each other. "It was worth a shot."
"Nothing is ever going to get him off our backs" I said looking at my brother. Him and the other guys were staring at a table of girls. They were all listening to a darker skinned girl who was apparently telling a funny story as they all began to laugh. I followed Newts gaze to the girl sitting next to the the one talking. She had blonde hair that was in a braid over her right shoulder. Her green eyes were bright as She laughed lightly. She seemed like the shyest of the group as She glanced at her folded hands in her lap after the group stopped giggling. She looked familiar.
I watched Newt stare at the girl. No one else noticed but I could tell he thought the same. Something about her was just familiar.
I nudged Newt and he broke his gaze. "You see the blonde girl right there?" he asked before i could.
"Yeah" I replied
"She is really... I dunno. Its Nothin" he told me. He seemed to be straining himself over it so I left him to his thoughts.
"Thomas," I said turning to him "have you seen Teresa. I thought she would be with you."
"No I haven't seen her since those doctors took her." he replied
Before I could say anything Janson walked into the middle of the room and cleared his throat. Everyone fell silent and turned to face him.
"Good evening gentlemen. Ladies." he began "You all know how this works. If you hear your name called please rise in an orderly fashion and join my colleagues up at the front behind me Where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about to begin." With that he began to list about ten names. People walked to the front and joined a line. When Janson was done guards led the kids out of the room through a pair of metal doors.
"Don't be discouraged. If I could take more I would. Don't worry, your time will come." Janson said after listening to people groan in disappointment.
"Where are they bringing them?" Thomas asked the two boys in front of us.
The tan one turned around, "Far from here. Lucky bastards."
"Some kind of farm." the pale one answered.
Guards came around and began separating people by mazes. Once our group was together guards led us down a few hallways.
We were stopped by a door. We all walked in and the boys began claiming beds. There were eight bunk beds.
"I call top!" Chuck announced climbing a ladder but Minho jumped onto the bed before he could get up.
"Too slow" Minho joked as Chuck jumped down. I put my hands on his shoulders.
"It's okay, Chuckie," I told the boy, "Minho is going to be nice and give you top bunk. Isn't that right Minho?"
Minho sighed but jumped down. Chuck excitedly climbed up and laid down stretching. Winston did the same on another bunk bed.
"I could get used to this." Winston announced
"Yeah It's not ba-" Newt began but a man in black cleared his throat from the doorway. We all turned to look at him.
"Girls have a separate room." he told us
"Um..." I glanced at Minho who was next to me. "I think I'll be okay here."
"It's against our policy. We want to insure you are safe-"
"Believe me I'm safe here" I cut him off. It annoyed me that he didn't want me to stay with my friends. Why couldn't I?
"You aren't allowed to sleep here" he said getting annoyed.
"I said I'll be perfectly fi-"
"You are required to come with u-"
"I've known all of these guys for as long as I can remember," I informed the man. I was beginning to get angry, "I know them. The people I don't know here are you, so I would rather not go with you alone. I don't give a bloody-"
"Audrey?" Janson said coming into the room from out of no where. "Is that right?"
I crossed my arms, "Yes."
"I was just informed by Dr. Nelson that you will be needing to do one last test before you can go to sleep tonight. I hope that isn't an inconvenience for you."
Minho put his arm around my waist. I could feel how tense he was. "Is something wrong?" he asked Janson.
"No, no," he said, "she just forgot a few vaccinations is all."
I looked back at Minho who seemed to be deciding whether or not to let me go.I put my hand on his arm and turned around to face him.  "I guess I'll see you later." I kissed him on the cheek quickly then did the same for Newt. "Good night"
"Night." he replied.
With that I walked out the door. The guards quickly closed it behind me. I glanced back and then turned to Janson.
"I know you probably are not happy about this, but you need the vaccine." he told me walking down a hallway while I followed.
"What is this vaccine for?" I asked
"It's filled with vitamins and some other things you haven't had in a while."
I stopped walking. "I already got that one."
He turned around to face me. "You did? Well I'm sure doctor Nelson would like to check. Just to make sure"
Janson led me back to the doctor's room I was in earlier. "Audrey! Hello it is nice to see you again." Dr. Nelson told me as I walked in behind the man. "Unfortunately I am busy for right now but if you could please take a seat on that table I will be back in a few hours."
"Hours?" I said. "I would rather not just sit in here for hours. Why couldn't you just let me stay with-"
"Perhaps you could take a quick nap. I would think you need it." she told me
"Uh..." I began. These people separated me from the boys for a reason. I don't trust tjem, but I might as well find out why. "Yeah. Okay."
I sat on the bed and the doctor walked out of the room. I immediately stood up and tried the door. I knew it would be locked but it was worth a shot.
"Wonderful" I sighed.