Chapter One

AUDREY'S P.O.V.
"Audrey! Minho!"
I had fallen to sleep minutes into the helicopter ride. My head was still on my boyfriend, Minho's, shoulder and he still had his arm around me. I slowly opened my eyes to see my brother, Newt, kneeling in front of me.
"Come on!" he yelled over the noise of the aircraft. It was then that I heard the yelling coming from outside the door. Everyone except Newt, Thomas, Minho, and I were out of the helicopter already.
"What's going on?" Minho asked him as I quickly stood up. Before Newt could answer a man in a black uniform came to the door and grabbed mine and Newt's arms since we were the closest. He pulled us out of the helicopter.
"You have to go! We have cranks!" I turned my head to see my boyfriend waking up Thomas and then he jumped out the door. Minho ran to my side and the guard let go of my arm. Someone yelled out from behind the helicopter. The shouts were getting closer to us.
"Run!" he yelled at us pulling out a gun to aim at what ever was attacking and pointing to a door that led into a tall building. The three of us listened and ran leaving the yells of the guards behind. When we reached the door I could see Frypan holding it open motioning us through.
Inside it looked like a large warehouse. Everyone wore the same black armour and were scrambling around. As soon as Thomas was in the building Frypan let the door close and a series of locks engaged. What was outside fighting to get in?
I looked at Minho, "Where the hell are we?" He shrugged.
A man came over to us. He was a guard in black. He told us to follow him and we were brought to a room. He said to wait until someone came to get us. For about two hours we All sat in the room asking questions that none of us had the answers to. Suddenly the door opening revealing the gaurd who had brought us here. He held the door open for a man that was wearing all white except for a black jacket. We stood up from where we were sitting hurriedly hoping to find some answers.
"You kids doing alright?" he asked "sorry about all of the fuss we had ourselves a bit of a swarm."
"Who are you?" Thomas asked
"I'm the reason you are all still alive. Now come with me. We'll get you all squared away."
We followed him as he walked through the facility. He explained to us what they were doing.
"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place," the man explained, "for us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourselves." he told us pointing to sparks that were falling from exposed wires on the ceiling.
"Your taking us home?" I asked glancing at Newt.
"A home of sorts." Janson said looking over his shoulder at me. "Sadly there wouldn't be much left of where ever you came from."
My heart dropped even though I should have known that already.
"We do have a place for you. A refuge outside of the scorch. Where WICKED will never find you again." Janson said turning to all of us. "How does that sound?"
"Why are you helping us?" Minho called out.
"Lets just say the world out there is in a rather curious situation and we are all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target as no doubt by now you've noticed."
We came to a stop outside a door.
"Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives." Janson swiped a key card and the door rose. He turned to face us and clapped his hands together "First things first... Lets Do something about that smell."
He brought us down a hallway where we met a woman with short black hair in a lab coat.
"Boys, you will follow me," Janson said "Ladies, you will go with Dr. Nelson to more... Private bathrooms."
I looked at Teresa and raised my eyebrows. She shrugged back and looked at Janson again.
"When will we be seeing the girls again?" Newt asked his protective brother side coming out.
"Don't worry," Janson said smiling, "once you are all cleaned up you will be moved to our doctors where you will see Each other again."
This seemed to calm Newt down enough. I gave him and Minho a smile and a wave while Teresa and I went left while the boy's went right.
"Alright you two," Dr. Nelson said gesturing towards a door and smiling politely. "This is your stop."
We thanked her and walked in. The doctor told us to meet her in the hallway when we were finished. Inside of the door was a long line of stalls. Inside each was a shower. The first two doors had a fresh set of clothes set on a stool outside of the stall.
"I guess we go into these?" I told Teresa l.
"Yeah guess so"
We each went into our separate rooms. I turned the water on and took a rather long shower. After I got dressed in the white t-shirt and jeans I was given.Teresa's water was still running so I decided to wait for her. Sitting in the stool that used to hold the clothes I was wearing. A few minutes later she came out in a white tank top and loose fitting pants.
She leaned on the doorframe to the stall and crossed her arms.
"So you and Minho?" she said smiling wisely and raising her eyebrows. She wasted no time to bring up the subject.
I laughed, "Yeah."
"Has Newt spoken to you at all?" she asked me.
"No but I'm sure He's giving Minho hell right now." I said making my best friend laugh.
"He's just protective" she told me, "I'm sure on the inside he knows Minho's a good guy."
"Yeah I guess." I said
"Would it make you feel better of we got back to them sooner?" she asked
I smiled and nodded, "Yeah I need to protect my boyfriend from my brothers wrath."