47th Chapter ♣ An Enemy Returns

Start from the beginning

Suzanne gave her a look of concern. "I know why you got suspended," she said. "It's for my sake, isn't it?"

"For a human to easily get into the academy when she doesn't even deserve it."

"Don't say that, Courtney." She brushed her cheek softly with an optimistic smile.

The former fifth made a noise of irritation. "She doesn't even know how hundreds of people are striving to be given the chance to study in the academy. How long have you been waiting for your turn?"

"A little over five years, perhaps."

"Do you see where I'm coming from?"

"I know you're concerned about me not being able to fulfill our promise," Suzanne said. "But you don't have to worry! Do not concern yourself about me. You shouldn't be making that human's life hard just because she got into the academy before I did. She's a special case."

"And after all that talk of no special treatment being given," she grumbled. "My parents had to secure a spot for me eight years in advance just so it was a sure thing I could enter without any problem."

"Come on, Courtney." She slipped her fingers between Courtney's comfortingly. "Let it pass, it doesn't happen every day! Give it a chance. I'm sure she's a wonderful person if she defeated you."

"Don't even go there, Suzanne. She's a human."

"I know you still haven't recovered about that incident, but you can't condemn an entire race just because of the actions of one. Doing that, you'll be condemning the innocent as well."

Courtney was quiet.

"I'll come by visit." Suzanne then leaned in to kiss her friend on the cheek. "Besides, I was given the news that my spot will be ready for the next semester! So, make sure to expect me, alright?"

Courtney gave her one of her rare smiles. "I guess I will."

-*-

Valeriana was sent home after having dinner with the king. When she returned, both men expressed their worry for her suddenly leaving the dining room and asked her if she was alright. She quickly reassured them that she was fine and that she got lost on the way to the restroom.

Setting that aside, she felt worried for Kyrell. Streaks? What in the world did that even mean? She could only hope he was fine, which he didn't seem so.

If only Edeltraud didn't interrupt the two of them . . .

The girl had placed her Valeriana in a vase on her bedside table the moment she came home. She had to admit that having a greenery in her room made it somewhat look even homier.

Even so, the next day was as normal as ever. She helped Charles with breakfast and when food was served, the whole circle gathered around the table.

"The summer festival is starting soon! I'm so excited." Genevieve giggled. "I heard that there'll be a lot of games!"

"The games are boring," Keelan muttered. "Definitely not exciting."

"Huh? Why not?" Valeriana quipped.

"It's the same thing every year, nothing new." Raziel yawned.

She shrugged. This was her first time so it would be much more fun for her than anyone else.

"This is our first time," said the twins in chorus. "So it won't be as bad!"

"I keep forgetting you guys are just first years," Rowe said. "No matter."

"So, Valeriana . . ." Tamara started with a smile. "How was it?"

"Yeah, we're curious," Aneeka added. "Care to tell what happened?"

She couldn't exactly tell them what she told the king about Corvan since the first-ranker would surely be angry about it.

"Well . . ." She started, shoving a spoonful of egg into her mouth. "For starters, I completely embarrassed myself in front of everyone."

"What did I tell you?" Corvan remarked mockingly.

They chuckled.

"And yeah, I met a realllllyyyy amazing person," she added, somewhat irked by his sudden statement. This was a good opportunity to piss the first-ranker off.

"What?" Genevieve squealed. "The prince?"

"Unfortunately, no," she said. "But there's Lord Gavin."

Corvan's attention immediately snapped towards Valeriana. He was chewing but paused when he heard the girl. How exactly did he forget, anyway? Gavin was a member of the king's council of advisors, it would be no wonder for him to be present.

"Lord Gavin?"

"Corvan's cousin." She smirked tauntingly at the first-ranker as he looked away in irritation and resumed chewing his food.

"Are they anything alike?" Genevieve curiously inquired.

"Nope. Aside from the looks and everything, they're total opposites." She wider at the current expression the young lord had on his face.

"How was he like?"

"Everything Corvan isn't."

"Now, I'm curious." Tamara chortled. "Do you like him, Valeriana?"

She blushed, but decided to play along. "Well, he passes my standards."

They all broke into a fit of laughter, Corvan being the only one who didn't have the same reaction as the rest.

"But no," she added.

"Like anyone would even like you." He huffed.

Valeriana puffed out her cheeks. "Bastard."

"Stupid witch," Corvan replied.

"Idiot devil," Valeriana retorted.

"Incompetent wench!"

"Jerk wad!"

"Foolish commoner!"

"Irksome lord!"

It soon turned into a contest, their words overlapping. The Twelve looked interested at their ongoing exchange and remained quiet.

"Impertinent girl!" Corvan exclaimed.

"Arrogant a-hole!" Valeriana said at the same time.

"Stop!" Valeriana and Corvan said in unison once more.

The two looked at each other and seethed. "Are you trying to copy me?" They said at the same time once more.

"So I'm copying you?" they replied together.

They both growled and stood up from their seats. "How dare you?!"

Everyone chuckled.

"Just remembered," Brindon said. "Valeriana," he told her.

Valeriana, still frowning, looked at Brindon. "What is it?"

"Courtney's back," he said. "Today."