Girl Gone Bad

"Did you do it?" Izzy asked through the bathroom door.

"No," I called back, gripping on to the edge of the counter.

I hadn't even taken the test yet and I was freaking out. I felt like I would fall over any second; I was terrified. I wasn't ready for my fears to be confirmed. There was no way that it would be negative, there were just too many symptoms... then again, maybe I was overthinking.

"Well, not doing it isn't gonna stop it from happening."

"Thank you, Izzy, I'm aware," I said, rolling my eyes.

"You gotta do it. We have a party to go to," he whined through the door.

"I know, Izzy," I growled.

After a moment of silence, I took a deep breath, and picked up the test, finally deciding to stop putting it off.

"Sadie Michelle Parker," he shouted, rushing in through the door.

"Jesus, Izzy! What if I was naked or something?!" I shouted, the test dropping back to the counter.

"Well, you're not! Plus, I've seen you naked a lot more times than you know."

"When?" I asked.

One raise of his eyebrows, and I realized that I didn't want to know.

"Look, just pee on the magic stick and we're done here. I wanna go see my friends and get hammered, so if you could do this, oh, uh, I don't know, now, that would be great!" he snapped, tearing open the box and handing me the test. "Do your thing, babe," he said before patting my shoulder and walking out.

"Close the damn door behind you," I shouted.

"Why? I ain't peekin'."

"Izzy!"

"Fine!" he huffed before closing the door.

"Did you really call it a 'magic stick'?" I asked with a laugh.

"Take the fucking test!" he screamed.

"Okay, okay. Damn."

After taking the test, I put it face down on the counter, afraid to see the result.

"Well?" Izzy called.

"It's not done."

"It has to process? What kind of shit it that?!"

"Shut up, Stradlin. It's five minutes or nine months."

"Oh come on... I wanna gooooo," he whined.

"I think I liked it better when you didn't talk as much," I muttered.

"Don't be a bitch," he said playfully. "Come on! It's been three days since you bought the fuckin' thing; read it so we can get on with our lives! I'm tired of babysitting you."

"Not yet. "

I began to think of the possible future. There would probably end up being DNA tests, someone would be upset and cut themselves out of my life; there was no winning in this situation. The would fight, I would probably be ruined because of hurting either of them, and I would end up miserable, possibly alone, and with a child.

Finally, I sucked in a breath and squeezed my eyes shut, flipping the test over. Eyes still shut, the breath began to make my lungs burn. I opened my eyes and I was startled to see a little blue minus, and as I felt like the air was knocked out of me, my smile grew.

"Oh my God," I whispered. "Yes, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Well?" Izzy asked expectantly.