Chapter 5: Part 1

Start from the beginning

            “Yes, I guess so.” She blushed red, remembering the ten year old Alice wishing desperately to fly, going so far as to stand on her window sill and wish for wings, her eyes squeezed shut, her fists clenched as she desperately wished.

            “And what happened?”

            “Nothing happened.” She wasn’t going to mention what had actually happened, that she had gone to bed and cried herself to sleep that night. It was embarrassing

            “Nothing happened, of course, since you had Ruby’s spell on you, keeping you safe and preventing anything from happening. Now you don’t.”

            “Okay.” Alice hesitated, wondering exactly what that meant. “So, ah…what should I do?”

            “Try picturing a shield in your mind,” Azura suggested. “That might work best to start with. But remember, you have to want it. As hard as you wanted to fly as a child.”

            “Pardon?” Alice frowned. How did she know that was what she’d been thinking?

            “Nothing dear, just concentrate.” Azura smiled confidently and waited.

            “I’m ready.” Alice braced herself.

            She watched as Azura reached up and gathered three glowing threads.

            “I’m gathering force,” the other woman explained, “Movement and energy.” Azura wove the three strands together. “Now I’ll start gently.” She flicked the woven strand at Alice, and it floated slowly towards her.

Alice tried to concentrate on making a shield in the air between them, a blockade so that the magic couldn’t get past. She felt silly and unsure of what she was doing. This wasn’t like touching the threads; the threads were tangible, real. This was like playing make-believe again. She was nineteen, not ten.  

The threads continued to float slowly towards her, past her imaginary shield.

            “This isn’t working.” She frowned, backing up as the threads floated closer.

            “Try pushing it away instead,” Azura instructed.

            Alice concentrated, her brow furrowed. She tried to picture her will and determination as a powerful force pushing the threads back. They still moved towards her. She grunted in frustration, thinking this was stupid and feeling more foolish by the minute.

            “Remember that feeling as a child,” Azura said. “Remember the faith you had, that if you wanted it enough it would happen.”

            Alice tried to summon up that blind faith, that fierce, childish desire. She shut her eyes and imagined herself at the window sill, almost feeling the cool night breeze brush past her face.

            “Now push harder…”  Azura said, whispering ever so quietly, “Fly”

            Alice pushed with everything she had in her, with all the will and determination of that child. The thick strand whipped back with startling speed and hit Azura firmly across her chest and shoulder, pushing her backwards so she staggered into the counter, her elbow striking the till. The thread dissipated as soon as it hit, leaving the woman looking startled.

            “Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry!” Alice reached out to steady her mentor. “Are you hurt?”

            Azura straightened up, brushing herself off. “I’m okay. It’s alright, Alice.” She rubbed her elbow, smiling a little sheepishly.  “I should have figured that would happen. Your skill for magic, raw though it may be, is quite considerable.”