I see the longing and hope fill Rosy's face and her gaze flicks between Doc and I. She gives an eager nod and I hear Doc move closer as I keep my eyes on her face.

"Micah if you would turn the covers back so Harley can uncover her stomach we can listen to the heartbeat first if Harley likes," Doc says encouragingly.

"Yes please," Rosy says as I get to my feet to do as Doc suggested while I keep my face averted to hide my annoyance at him using the name Harley. I look at the small bump that is uncovered as Rosy lifts her t-shirt. Rosy's Kitt.

"You take up a lot of room Micah," Doc says with a light laugh as he subtly pushes me to the side as he steps up to the bed. I can't see what he has in his hands clearly other than something the size and shape of an electric razor in the hand closest to me. I watch as he skims it over her stomach, there is a scratchy static like noise, then the sound not unlike a washing machine. The sound lifts, falls and lifts in volume as he moves his hand around before holding it still.

"That is the blood pulsing in the umbilical cord," Doc says quietly and waits for several moments before moving his hand again. The noise that comes this time when his hand has stopped is different. The sound seems more defined, almost a double beat and clearer, not the swish of liquid.

"That's his heart beating," Doc says softly.

Rosy gives a soft cry and I glance at her face to see tears in her eyes as she covers her mouth with the hand that does not hover near Doc's.

"First time you've heard it?" Doc asks gently.

Rosy nods as tears escapes both her eyes, she looks to me and I smile feeling the wonder that wells inside me as we share this first.

"Time to check the Momma out," Doc says as the sound stops, his voice startling both Rosy and I. I realise we had been lost in the moment for a minute or so as we had listened to the sound. I break eye contact with her as I step back and let Doc move closer to Rosy. I watch as he checks her temperature, blood pressure and listens to her heart as he asks questions. Once Doc is finished he leaves the room and I watch as Rosy settles herself back down comfortably.

"Would you be able to eat if I got you more food?" I ask gently. I watch as she gives a yawn, her eyes are already heavy lidded and glassy.

"Can you just sit with me for a few moments?" Rosy asks with a sleepy murmur. I sit on the edge of the bed and she reaches for one of my hands. I brush the hair back off her face with a soft sigh, I know she would be asleep before I could return with food.

"I'll bring some food in for you in a couple of hours," I tell her. I tilt my head to get a better look at her face when she doesn't react to my voice. She is asleep, my hand held up near her face where she breathes in my scent with every breath.

Rosy:

The insistent demands of my empty stomach wake me up. I glance around the dark room as I listen intently, I can hear soft breathing in the bed with me and glance over my shoulder at Micah who is asleep undisturbed by my slight movements. I frown and reach out to place a hand on his shoulder, he is instantly awake and turns his head towards me.

"You okay Sweetheart?" There is concern in his voice as he sits up. "Anything wrong?"

"I'm hungry," I tell him quietly. I hear the relief in his soft laugh as he gets out of bed. I got to sit up but he is pulling the covers back up and tucking them in around me.

"I'll go see what I can find to cook up for you," Micah says softly as he brushes a kiss against my cheek. I smile as I close my eyes and rub my cheek against the pillow contentedly only to open my eyes as he squeezes one of my feet gently as he rounds the foot of the bed.