Chapter 1

I: Gingersnaps

November 29, 2013

"Aaah December." I sighed dreamily as I put my books in my locker. "I could almost smell it."

"I think what you're smelling is the pinecone air freshener in your locker, Noelle." Carol said. She was leaning against the locker next to mine while putting her dark brown hair in a ponytail.

"What?" I said defensively. "I wanted to get the fresh paint smell out of my locker."

"I was wondering why hollies suddenly appeared at the corners of your door." She tapped her chin as if deep in thought but her stare made it clear she was being sarcastic.

"Hey, I love the holidays." I shrugged and smiled, closing the metal door.

"And guess who isn't." Carol muttered under her breath.

I turned around to follow her gaze. The students of Fairview High school seemed as excited for the holidays as I was. I could see the student council starting to decorate the hallways. A few were even wearing Santa hats and reindeer antlers. Among the cheery crowd of students, one particular boy stood out.

He had dark dishevelled hair, making him look as if he'd just got out of bed, and icy blue eyes. He was wearing all black – dark shirt and dark washed jeans – as opposed to the vibrant colors of everyone else's outfits. Like his outfit, his whole demeanor was grim.

We don't know why he doesn't join in the yuletide glee. Come to think of it, I think nobody knows. People tend to avoid him whenever the holidays roll in since most of the time he brings everyone down. However, that's not to say he isn't popular when he happens to be in a "good mood".

Nevertheless, despite being a major flirt, even I had to admit he was good looking. He walked down the hallway with most of the girls staring at him. His frown turned into a charismatic smile when he winked at a pretty brunette who was oggling him with her two friends. She squealed in delight, actually squealed.

 "Oliver does this every year." Carol said. I rolled my eyes at the girl and her friends. "It's like he's trying to make everyong suffer through the holidays with him."

"Don't mind him." I replied, waving my hand dismissively. Even if it does seem like that, I'm not going to let him ruin my or my best friend's mood. "Let's get going."

"It's just so annoying." She huffed, clutching her books closer to her chest. She was an easily irritated person. We went through the school's main door and to the parking lot where Carol parked her brother's car. "Who does he think he is? Pitch?!"

"Chillax." I told her, hopping into the silver Hyundai. She put the keys in the ignition and we were soon on the main road. I decided to turn on the radio, switching channels to see what was good. Jingle Bell Rock was on, Carol's favorite song.

"Oooh, I love this song!" She exclaimed then started singing along, immediately forgetting about Oliver.

ღ ღ ღ

"We're here Mrs. Davis!" I sang as I waltzed into Gingersnaps. The sweet smell of cinnamon and coffee wafted through the air. Christmas carols were playing quietly through the radio.

Two of the three customers in the café looked up from their phone, laptop, or pocket book to stare at me. I didn't care though.

"Hi girls!" Jo greeted us while she set down a customer's coffee cup. "Mom went to the store to grab some ingredients."

Jo was a petite woman in her mid twenties with cropped brown hair. She and her mother shared the same features but Mrs. Davis had longer hair than her daughter.