Chapter 16

XVI: Meet the Family

December 19, 2013

 “That’s one more thing to check off the list.” I said. Oliver and I were walking home from our walk around town to check out the Christmas displays.

“How many do we have left?” He asked.

“Maybe five more.” I said absentmindedly as I saw my mom pull up the driveway. My mom’s car slows to a stop in front of the garage door. She slammed the car door when she got out and went to open trunk, her heels clicking on the pavement. “Elle, dear, come help me with the groceries!”

“Mom, I’m kind of busy…”

“Is that Oliver Hastings?” Mom pushed her sunglasses up her head. I looked at him warily.

“I’m a natural with parents, Elle.” He said haughtily. “I got this.” He approached my mom casually. I followed suit.

“Hi, Mrs. Winters.” He said with his most charming smile.

“It is you.” She said, looking at him. She hugged – well, more like squeezed – him. “I haven’t seen you since you were a baby! My, you’ve grown up into a handsome young boy.”

Oliver looked embarrassed.

“How are your parents? You know, your mother and I, we became really good friends.”

I sucked in a deep breath. Here we go.

“Really?” He sounded genuinely interested.  I thought he’d run for the hills if mom would mention his parents. “I didn’t know you and my mom knew each other.”

“Oh yeah.” Mom said as she popped the trunk. “We met at your father’s and Elle’s father’s college reunion.”

“Do tell me more.” He said. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. There wasn’t even a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

“Stay for dinner!” She exclaimed, the idea suddenly coming to her. “Elle’s dad would love to tell you all about it.”

That would’ve been a great idea… if Ethan wasn’t here tonight. Being the annoyingly protective brother he is he might scare Oliver away or something. Plus, mom and dad are probably going to grill him with more questions about his parents. I had to come up with a quick way to say no. “Actually, mom, Oliver has to – “

“Sure!” He grinned.

“What?” I shot him a look.

“Dinner sounds great.” He said, looking at my mom.

“But I thought you had this thing…”

“Do you not want Oliver to have dinner with us Elle?” Mom looked at me.

“Yeah, Elle, do you not want me to stay?” He said, eyes gleaming with amusement.

I flushed. “I do, it’s just that – “

“Great. Help me with the groceries then.” My mom shoved two brown paper bags in my arms. Oliver offered to help too. She shot me a look that unmistakably meant ‘I already like him’. I rolled my eyes. We walked up the driveway while she got the rest of them.

“I have to warn you.” I said, getting the keys from my coat pocket. “My family can be a bit… overwhelming.”

“Nothing I can’t handle, Ellie.” He said and smiled at me.

I looked at him uncertainly once I unlocked the door. “Just nod and agree when my little brother talks to you, alright? It’ll be easier that way.”