.:8:.

"So, what is actually going on?"

Kellin's question were the first words exchanged between him and Vic after he agreed to the proposition. They had sat in a tense silence for a few minutes, both of them knowing that they had to discuss it, but neither knowing where to begin so they simply sipped their drinks and hoped for the best.

"I'm trying to keep myself alive," Vic shrugged. He did not want everything to be so intense from now on, but there was really no way to avoid it.

Kellin gave him a look as if to elaborate.

"As you already know, you grow until the age of 18. When you hit that age, you completely stop. The only way to restart the aging process is through meeting your soul mate. If you meet them before the age of 18, you never stop aging," Vic explained, although he was pretty sure that Kellin already knew all of this. Everyone knew it, after all.

"Okay, and...?" The younger boy urged to carry on. "Does that mean that you've never met your soul mate?"

"Quite the opposite," Vic chuckled humourlessly. "There have been over a dozen incidents of me somehow meeting my soul mate and the reincarnations of my soul mate."

"Then how are you still 18?" Kellin wondered.

This all seemed so strange to him. It was very obvious that Vic's age was a complete anomaly and he had lived longer than any person he had ever known. Kellin was genuinely confused about how this could work.

Vic's sigh showed that what he was about to say next was in no way pleasant. He spoke very slowly, almost reluctantly, "The only way to stop aging, after meeting your soul mate, is if they...die."

Kellin furrowed his eyebrows, "So every single one of your soul mates, up until now, has been in an accident or something? That's so unfortunate, I'm sorry."

"Not at all," Vic bit his lip, "I have had no choice but to...get rid of them, myself."

Finally, the pieces moulded into place in Kellin's mind. The weird questions from before and this beating around the bush from now all pointed in the same direction.

"Y-you killed all of them?"

Vic nodded solemnly, before jumping into an explanation, "It's not what it seems though. Those people, my soul mates, they were all so selfish. They did not understand that I could not live like this. They all wanted to force me to die. I don't want to die, Kellin. I really don't. And...and getting rid of them is the only way. It's quickest. They all want to die one day anyway, right? So what's the harm in speeding it up a bit?"

Kellin felt like his brain was melting and it was difficult to wrap his head around the fact that Vic was not who he seemed to be. From the beginning, everyone assumed he was this shy, yet slightly arrogant, guy, who had lived a few too many lifetimes.

But, as everyone around him had already figures out, Kellin was easily manipulatable to the point where his feelings about the subject went from a definite 'no' to an unsure 'I don't know'. His perception of what was right and wrong was heavily influenced by the people around him. And, right now, the only person around him was a murderer.

"So y-you want me to-to help you...kill them?" Kellin choked out.

"Not entirely!" Vic defended, in order to not make it seem as bad as it actually was. "I will be doing most of the killing - unless something goes wrong and I will really need your help - but you'll just be there to help with the preparation, research and you'll hang out in the background whenever I do anything. It's very unlikely that you will be doing any of the dirty work."

Now that Kellin thought about it, this plan did not seem too bad. After all, he was just helping a friend in need. Nothing bad could come from that. Yes, he would probably feel very guilty in the end but, like Vic said, they all wanted to die at some point anyway.

"As long as I won't have to kill anyone, I-I guess I'm fine with this. I can help you," he decided with a small nod to himself.

"Really?" Vic asked in excitement.

"Yep," he reassured, "What do we start with?"

Vic was quite surprised that Kellin was so enthusiastic about this. He also never expected the boy to give in so quickly. He thought that at least another hour of convincing would do the job, but no. All it took was ten minutes (four of which were spent in silence).

For a second Vic thought that Kellin might be bluffing, but they both knew that he was not clever enough for that. He was more of a physical person rather than a mental person and acted before thinking things through properly. That explained his quick decision. But Vic did not mind. It only made things quicker.

"This is the first time I'm dealing with a group of suspects rather than one definite person, so I'm assuming that the easiest way would be through taking out a few at a time."

"Why?" Kellin asked curiously.

"Imagine this: one person is killed on one day, another on the next, and the last one a day later. The thing which links all of these people is the fact that they were all on the soccer team. The police will automatically suspect someone else from the team. And we don't want that." Kellin nodded along to everything that Vic said. "Now, if they found a group of five people dead, who were all on the soccer team, they would assume that they were just friends hanging out and the killer possibly picked them at random. Yes, they would be suspicious of the team, but nowhere near as much because the targets did not seem specifically picked."

"Oh, I get it now!" Kellin exclaimed. "It will just be less likely to link all five of them to anything, if they were just hanging out as friends. Another thing you could do is take some items from the house as well, so that it looks like a robbery and definitely not a planned murder."

"You're right," Vic smiled proudly. "However now we have to figure out a way to gather a lot of the team in one place - preferably a big, expensive-looking house..."

"Actually," Kellin chimed in with something he recalled. "Nick is having a little get-together with some of the team. I know that Nick is fucking loaded and his house is huge."

"Who will be there?" Vic asked curiously.

"Nick, obviously, Denis, Jack, Jeremy, Craig, Ryan, Oli... I know that Josh was going to come as well but he's visiting his parents or some shit. I was invited too, but I'm too lazy to come and I currently have beef with Denis and Craig, so I don't really want to go anyway."

Vic considered this list. Seven people, excluding Kellin. One had a soulmate, so he did not count either (although he would have to be killed in order to stop him from spilling everything to the police). Six people. Six out of the eight that he targeted. There was a 6/8 chance that his filthy soul mate was amongst those men. This was amazing!

"When is this happening anyway?"

"Umm..." Kellin thought, "tomorrow evening."

"Tomorrow?" Vic exclaimed in horror. That was not enough time!

He had to calm himself down. This was possible. If he put enough effort into it, then he would have everything ready and planned for tomorrow evening. Vic knew his limits, and this task was not beyond them.

"Yeah, I know it's really weird. Like, who even meets up on a Sunday evening? Then again, it was Nick's idea and he's a bit nuts. It's probably also because there is some teachers' strike thing going on at school tomorrow so we have a day off. I don't know about that guys who work though. They're probably missing work or just won't have a very pleasant morning," the younger boy rambled.

Vic stayed quiet while Kellin talked some more. The gears in his head were slowly twisting, forming a plan. They could easily do this.