Family Reunion

Dane really had tried to talk to her.

He had in the end - well kind of - by text at least. 

Maybe that was a start.

The way forward.

They were communicating at least and that could only be a good thing. 

It wasn't his fault he had a girlfriend. 

A beautiful one. 

A young one. 

The younger model. 

He'd always been a little emotionally stunted so it made sense that he would identify with a 24-year-old more than someone his own age. And yet Dane and Sarah had always just got each other, understood each other almost instinctively.

And Sarah was emotionally stunted too – she even had the medical documents to prove it.

Poor Bean.

It was 15 weeks today.

And they'd finally be seeing each other.

Of course, Sarah thought, she looked like shit.

Let's face it, she didn't look 24, beautiful or model-like. 

She looked 35, sick, worn out and, finally, pregnant.

Bean must have had a growth spurt after it's first encounter with "Daddy" because when she looked in the mirror this morning suddenly she didn't look twilight-zone pregnant – that moment when you look at a woman and think "should I ask if she's pregnant or will she just get upset because she's eaten a donut and it's sitting a bit heavy?"

No Sarah was obviously pregnant. She'd even thought she'd felt "the quickening" - the tiny bubbly feeling in her stomach that indicated Bean was practicing freestyle.

And she was finally home at Margaret's place in Devon. 

She'd been here two hours. 

Long enough to do some last minute grocery shopping for her stepmother, throw her bag in the room she'd share with Ruby and Thena tonight and now peel the pumpkin while her "mum" rushed off to collect her sister from the train.

They hadn't said much to each other, there hadn't really been any time. 

Margaret had been working all week and was trying to pull this dinner party together in one evening so it was all hands to the pump. 

The main party would be held tomorrow afternoon in the local hall and that was being catered, thank god. This was the family dinner tonight. Neville, Lizzie and Ruby; Jane and her husband Michael and the twins; Thena, Margaret and herself. 

And Dane.

And Bean.

She'd be seeing Dane. 

He'd probably bring his girlfriend. Though he hadn't said that in the texts they'd shared.

The texts.

She'd got the first when she arrived at her flat in Stratford.

"Sorry I missed you, I really wish we'd had time to talk. I'm sorry I was an arse last night. You are my best friend and you deserve my support. I love you and can't wait to be uncle Dane to your new child."

Uncle Dane.

Yes well, that was settled wasn't it – in one text? He was uncle Dane. 

She thought about ignoring it or ringing him and telling him then and there - not uncle Dane – daddy Dane. But his girl had sounded so young, so beautiful and he deserved to be happy.