Perfect Sense

Dane leant against the large over-stuffed dark leather lounge in the Neville Huntington's drawing room noodling on his guitar. Occasionally he'd look wistfully out the floor to ceiling glass doors and even more occasionally he'd look over to Sarah who was writing furiously on her laptop and humming along to whatever tune he attempted to play.

They were on their own in the house, the elder Huntingtons were abroad, Sarah's dad was on a dig and Neville had abandoned them for the afternoon and evening of, as he put it "hot and heavy sex" or more correctly a visit to his current local girlfriend.

It was all very domestic and well, boring, not at all what Dane had hoped to be doing during the first week of summer after finishing school before starting at Cambridge in the autumn. Later in the break, he would be heading with Boyd and the boys to Spain for a week. This week though, this week he'd wanted to be somewhere finally losing his virginity. 

He'd planned it. 

Her name was Alex and she was beautiful, tall, blonde, with the biggest blue eyes and spectacular tits, a classmate of Sarah's, not a friend though. He'd learned that one the hard way, Boyd and Emily had become a couple and when they broke up she'd wiped them all, including Sarah. So no dating within the close friend's group. 

Alex was perfect. 

He'd been in a combined school production with her, so not only was she was gorgeous but artistic too. They'd talked a lot and even shared a kiss, okay a stage kiss, but still. Then he'd asked her to the end of year dance - it had taken him all production to work up the courage. 

But that's where his plans came unstuck - she turned him down flat. He'd taken too long, she'd already been asked – by Boyd as it turned out and Dane knew he couldn't compete with Boyd. 

So now Boyd was at his parents empty flat in London doing things Dane could only dream of with the luscious Alexandra and he was stuck here with Fox. The same Fox who had ended up as his date for the dance.

It's not that he didn't like Fox, he loved her. She had probably been the best looking girl there too. Problem was she was family and in more ways than one now. 

Her dad was now going out with his mum but even more than that she wasn't someone he couldn't afford to lose and he knew it. He didn't need a serious girlfriend now and that's what she would be, would have to be. Neither of them needed that, university was going to a lot of work - particularly for Sarah. After her early school dramas she had fought back and was the top of her year and now she would be studying History and English Lit at Uni, he was doing classics. They were both going to Cambridge though different colleges so they could start something BUT what if it went wrong? It would never be worth it, he had known that two years ago and he knew that now. After their sweet sixteen kiss and a few rather spectacular snogs the next night at the bonfire (up in their tree again when no-one was looking) they'd decided that they were better as friends. She still made him go more than a little funny in the stomach when she wore a bikini or held his hand and she had definitely been the subject of a few embarrassing night time dreams, though he wouldn't dare tell her that. In recent times though Alex had been his "tissue box" girl - until Boyd stole her away.

He put his head back down and tried to concentrate on Smoke on The Water. He was so engrossed he didn't hear Sarah cross the room until she plonked down beside him.

"Are you still brooding over Alex?" she asked in typical no-nonsense, no wasted words, Fox speak.

"I'm going to be the only virgin at Cambridge, I'm already the only virgin in our entire friend's group," he sighed abandoning his playing and putting the guitar up behind them on the lounge.