Sleepless in the city

SLEEP perchance to dream............Chance would be a fine thing for Dane. He was exhausted but beyond sleep and still totally confused about what had gone on at Sarah's place. She was acting hurt and angry and yet he was the one wronged.

Of course Dehlia had stepped in before they could talk leaving just as bewildered when he got home.

The world had been turned on its head and he needed to stop it for at least 12 hours and just curl up and sleep. 

He needed to switch off and forget about everything. Maybe when he woke up it would be back to normal again. His friendship with Fox would be how it was, she wouldn't be pregnant and all would be good with the world. 

No he shouldn't wish that, no matter how it came into being, there was a little person in Fox's life now. Maybe he was jealous? Maybe he was frightened she'd replaced him, didn't need him anymore. 

Maybe he was fucking delirious due to chronic lack of sleep.

Yes, Dane needed to crash out. 

He would go for a run but it was too late and too cold. He had the treadmill in the spare room, maybe that would help?

So he ran four miles until he was bone tired.

But his brain was still working.

Still trying to process.

If she was 12 weeks pregnant then the way she'd been acting would make sense. He would feel lousy for not contacting her but he'd understand why she was acting like this. It wasn't beyond the realm of possibility, that he could be the father of her child. It's not like they hadn't been intimate in recent times – the night of her birthday to be exact – 12 weeks ago.

At the time Sarah warned him she'd gone off the pill, worrying that she'd been on it too long and just wanting to let her body detox a bit. 

Of course, Sarah had read several articles about possible side-effects of prolonged use and with no regular lover, she figured there was no point.

So they'd used a condom but lust had got the better of them that night and they had been in too much of a hurry to go upstairs where there was a supply of the damned things.

No, instead they'd used the lucky condom in his wallet; he'd kept it for six years – a marketing souvenir from one of his early movies. It was stupid, he usually had a small supply – just in case but he'd used them months ago and then was too busy with work and hadn't got around to replacing them. 

So lucky condom had been the only one there that night in his wallet and it was probably well past its use by so it really wasn't a surprise when it broke. Mind you even a normal freshly picked condom might have been under a bit of pressure – this poor old thing didn't stand a chance. 

They'd been what he'd describe as "enthusiastic" though he suspected that Sarah's description would be closer to the phrase "fucked like rabbits". Whatever the description, they'd gone at it up against the wall and on the lounge and the condom had failed. It broke apart before he realised.

And now he knew he'd lost his talisman – seemingly for no good reason.

He sighed thinking about it. They'd even talked about the possibility of her getting pregnant, deciding that as their friends were all having trouble conceiving at 35, it was highly unlikely anything like that would happen from one little mishap. 

Well, that's what he thought was happening.

But it wasn't the truth, was it?

She knew she couldn't get pregnant because she was already was.