Chapter Thirty-Seven - Case Closed

{Chapter Thirty-Seven - Case Closed}

I opened my eyes to find Eli dozing off in the chair next to my bed.  I inhaled the smell of hand sanitizer and mustiness and I knew right away that I was in
the hospital.

I leaned over to the edge of the bed and with the arm of my uninjured side, I poked Eli's cheek.  He was so adorable and innocent when he slept.  His eyes immediately opened and he pulled me into a hug.

"Eli, you were drooling," I lied.

"I don't drool sweet pea.  Don't think you can fool me." He grinned at me and pulled me into another hug.  "Don't you ever do that to me again.  I was so worried and you know I won't look as good if I'm stressed about you," he stated.

We pulled apart just as the door swung open and Grayson came rushing in.  Seeing him instantly brought down my mood.  Eli got up and looked at Grayson while he said, "I'll leave you two to talk."

Once Eli leave, I gave Grayson an expressionless look and he looked down at the floor nervously.  "I'm sorry," he said in a low voice.  "I was wrong about Eli's dad and I had no idea that Aunt Serena was behind everything.  I mean if I only knew that it was Aunt Serena, I could have prevented you from getting shot."

"This wasn't your fault," I replied.

"But I was supposed to protect you!  It is my fault for letting you get hurt!" He exclaimed.

"Shut up Grayson.  I'm alive, it's fine."

"So you'll forgive me?" He asked, looking hopeful.

"No," I lied, trying to bite back a smile when his face immediately fell.  "But you can sit with us again."

"That's good enough for me!" Grayson said happily and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Ow, ow.  I just got shot in this shoulder...twice if you've forgotten."

He pulled back very fast as soon as I said that and fell backwards onto the ground.  I broke out laughing at him and he simply glared at me while he rubbed his bottom.  I missed Grayson and his stupidity. He was the best entertainment one could have around.

Then Carly and Ali barged into the room with Eli trailing behind. "What did I miss?" Eli asked as he looked from Grayson who was still on the ground to me laughing and back to Grayson again.  "Nevermind.  I don't want to know."

"Good news Violet!!!" Ali exclaimed excitedly, not giving a care towards Grayson.  She had long gotten over her crush on him when she got together with Hayden. "Carly tell her."

"I opened the lock before the police got to Serena's house and guess what I found?  There was stuff concerning inheritances, wills, a DNA test with your dad and your late grandfather, list of workers and a prepaid phone which sent you the text with the threat," Carly said, "she wasn't too smart covering her tracks."

"Wow...so it was all in the drawer then."

"Yep.  I gave it to the police.  My dad knows the chief," Carly said.

Then I remembered about Mr. Desmond.  "I guess your dad is really..." I looked at Eli and Ali, suddenly feeling immensely sorry.

"The funeral is in two days," Ali said.

"I'm so sorry," I said, looking down at the ground.

"Hey," Eli started, lifting up my chin. "It's not your fault. None of this is your fault. We should all be blaming your Aunt. Let's hope they sentence her to life in prison."

"They most likely will for first degree murder of Mr. Preston, second degree murder of Mr. Desmond, and attempted murder of Violet. She has so much charges laid against her in addition to that," Carly said and turned to me. "Violet, we need you to stand as witness to testify against your Aunt. Your mom and Grayson are going to the stand as well."