» chapter 30 «

"You brought back John Gilbert? That was your big 'Save Elena' move?"

"I went to go look for Isobel, and I get John instead. He said he can help us, and we're desperate," Stefan tried to explain to Damon and Evie.

Damon turned to him with a frown. "We're not that desperate, Stefan. The guy tried to barbecue me!"

"Damon, Bonnie's new witch friend is working with Elijah, so we have to assume that the moonstone was never destroyed. Elena is putting all of her faith into some deal that she made with Elijah to keep everyone safe. I mean, do you trust Elijah? I don't trust him. He's an Original, he can't be trusted. It's not like we can just go up and kill him, because apparently, he can't die!" Stefan shouts.

"I trust him!" Evie shouted back at her little brother.

Damon crosses his arms. "I'm still waiting for the part where John Gilbert is the answer."

"He knew about the sacrifice, Isobel told him. He said he knew of a way to keep Elena safe."

"And how do we do that?" Evie sarcastically asks.

Stefan sighs. "He's not talking. At least not to me anyway."

Damon turns away. "Great work Stefan. Top notch. As if I didn't have enough problems."

"Hey, I'm sorry about Rose."

Damon shrugs. "Whatever. I knew the woman for five minutes."

"And you cared about her after five minutes. I wonder what that means?" Stefan adds.

"It means I care, Stefan. It means I'm changing, evolving into a man capable of greatness. Better watch your back brother, because I may just have to go get a hero-hairdo of my own, and steal your thunder."

-

"Where's John?" Damon asks as soon as Elena lets the twins into her house.

Elena sighed. "He's not here, he left. I don't know where he went. He just blew in, announced to Jenna that he's my dad, and then took off."

Damon turns to her with furrowed brows. "That's public knowledge now?"

Elena shrugs, "Apparently?"

"Are you okay?" Evie asked.

Elena nods. "Yeah. Jenna's head spinning, but I'm okay."

"He said what he was doing here?" Damon asks her.

Elena shakes her head. "No. You know, Stefan thinks that he's telling the truth about wanting to help me."

Evie scoffed, "Do you believe him?"

"No, I don't believe him for a second."

"Me neither," Damon mutters.

"What are we gonna do?"

"Kill him," Damon and Evie say simultaneously before turning to leave.

"Damon...Evie..."