Chapter 5

D'Artagnan knocked on Anna's door in an effort to get the woman's attention.

"Oh don't be so dainty!" Constance laughed as she found the spare key to the room and unbolted the door.

D'Artagnan smiled his thanks before pushing the creaking door open and frowning when he found the room was empty.

"Did you know she wasn't in there?" Constance offered a knowing smile as he sighed. "Do you know where she is?"

"Not a clue."

"Thanks." He left the house with a huff and joined Aramis and Porthos in the small courtyard. "She's not here. Hasn't been since she helped me sober up this morning."

"Where on Earth could she-" Aramis cut himself off as a thought popped into his head. "Could she be with Athos?"

The three exchanged glances before heading towards their leader's home.

The couple sat relaxing in a warm bath provided by Athos' landlady: once a few coins had been slipped to her.

"I have missed this." Anna sighed as the combined heat from the water and Athos' skin heated her.

He hummed in agreement as his muscles relaxed.

Laying her head on his toned chest she took the time to study his lodgings.

"You traded luxury for this?" She asked as she eyed the rickety shutters currently blocking sunlight from the room.

"I traded luxury for the Musketeers." He reminded her. "As did you."

"At least my landlady doesn't need to be bribed for a warm bath."

"Can we not speak of others when I would much rather reacquaint myself with your glorious body?" He asked a smirk evident in his voice.

"I believe you have already done that." She gestured to the crumpled bed sheets.

"Practice makes perfect." He placed kisses down the top of her spine sending chills across her skin.

Their actions were interrupted by a sharp knocking on the door.

"Athos?!" They sighed at the sound of Porthos' voice and knew that it as highly likely Aramis and D'Artagnan were behind him.

"One moment!" Athos responded before climbing out of the bath and dressing himself to open the door.

As he fumbled for his clothes, Anna lay back against the top of the bath and reached for Athos' hat which had been knocked off as they entered his accommodation.

Placing the hat on her head she smiled as she heard Athos open the door to their friends.

"Yes?" He asked gruffly.

Anna was glad that the only bathtub available had been one with a high back which currently hid her from view.

"We cannot find Anna and we have been requested by Treville." Aramis explained as they entered the room.

"Have you seen her?" D'Artagnan asked.

"Anna?" Athos' smile was clear in his voice as he called out to her.

"Yes?" She responded and had to contain laughter as she imagined the faces of their friends.

"Treville wants us." Athos told her.

"Then I should probably dress." She stood and climbed out of the bath, being careful to keep her back to the Musketeers gawks as she ventured towards a screen in the corner. "I mustn't keep him waiting." She said as the screen concealed her and she began to dress in the items Athos handed her.

"Captain." Anna greeted as they were escorted to his side.

"Claude Allard, one of the King's valet de chambres." He introduced her to the corpse currently staining the palace's marble floors a distinctive crimson.

"That looks painful." Porthos said as they observed the large hole in his forehead.

"Yes, he was heading to the King's chambers when he was accosted and shot."

"Any witnesses?" Aramis asked as they glanced for the presence of others at the scene.

"Two handmaids." The Captain told them. "They're inside." Anna nodded and set off in search of the women as the others secured the Palace.

"Good afternoon." She said as she entered the dark room. "I'm Anna, a Musketeer. What happened out there?"

"A man, he appeared from nowhere and shot Claude in the head before running away." One sobbed as she recalled the events.

"He shouted something like 'Traitor'." The other informed her as she dabbed at her eyes. "It was horrid." Anna nodded as she stored their information in her mind.

"Do you have any idea who the man was?" They responded with shaking heads and Anna sighed. "Thank you ladies." She dismissed them and re-joined her friends.

"Well?"

"An unprovoked attack it would seem. Apparently the killer shouted 'traitor' as he left." She told them. "Did you find anything?" Aramis showed her a coin they had found near the edge of the marble promenade.

"Spanish." Athos told her as she squinted at the object.

"Interesting..."

The five of them entered their favourite tavern and began discussing the body as drinks were set in front of them.

"If it was a Spaniard it will be unlikely we find him." Athos mused.

"True, but let us not discuss that." They all looked at Aramis as he spoke. "I'm far more interested in the fact that you two finally-" Athos cut him off with a glare as a light blush coated Anna's cheeks.

"I say good luck to you!" Porthos smiled. "If anyone can stop him scowling it's you." Anna chuckled at his statement.

"True. But then I ask why it took you both so long?" Aramis pondered. "We all know you two have had an attraction for some time."

The lovers exchanged a glance.

"It just...happened." Anna lied as Athos nodded.

"Are you Musketeers?" A hooded figure interrupted their conversation.

They all turned slightly to showcase the M's on their leather covered biceps.

"Good." The figure dragged a chair to their table and joined them. "I am Jean Monet. I killed the courtier." They all sat forward, ready to pounce if the figure made any wrong move.

"You're the Spaniard."

"I am no Spaniard!" He cried, gaining the attention of most in the tavern.

"Ignore him: he is a drunken fool." Aramis said to the crowd who promptly resumed their conversations.

"If you are not from Spain, explain this." Porthos slid the coin they found towards the still disguised man.

"I have been to Spain. I have lived and worked there for many years, but my loyalties lie with King Louis!"

"Then explain." Athos said sharply as a new round of drinks were signalled for.

"I am a spy for France."