Flashback 5

They sat astride their horses and stared as she climbed atop the wooden wagon underneath the wrangled tree.

"You don't have to do this." Anna said softly. "You don't have to stay and watch." Athos' jaw clenched as the woman in white reached her destination.

"It is my duty."

"As the Comte? Yes. As a mourning brother? No." Anna reached out to him. "Go home, my love." Her words broke his stare and he turned to gaze upon the woman beside him.

"I..." His voice faltered as out of the corner of his eye he saw the rope necklace fasten around her neck.

"Come." Anna stretched and grasped his hand in an attempt to lead him towards the magnificent house.

He allowed himself a final glance at the woman who had taken his brother's life before pulling on his horses reins and headed towards his home.

The soft footfalls of their transport was the only sound between them as the journeyed and Anna was sure he would continue the silence when the eventually returned to the house.

Dismounting, they passed the animals off to their keeper and entered the silent home.

Anna quickly informed the servants that a full meal would not be needed tonight and that she would take the Comte his food should he request some, before mustering up the strength to venture to his room.

Pushing open the grand doors to the master suite in the mansion, she sighed at the sight of her lover beginning to drink himself into a stupor.

"That will not help, love." She told him as she gently pried the bottle from his hands and took a seat on his lap.

Cupping his face she laid soft kisses along his skin and let him sit in silence and mourn.

Minutes later she felt his hands slid along her waist and pull her closer to him.

The pair sat in the chair for the rest of the night. The almost silent thuds of his heart against her ear soothed her into a blissful sleep as his head rested upon her.

"My love." He whispered into the room as he gazed upon the sleeping woman. "What would I do without you?"

The days following Thomas' funeral consisted of endless rain and silence within the chateau as all of its inhabitants grieved for Thomas and his unlived life.

Rain beat against in the panes of the chateau causing a drum like echo to resonate through the vast rooms. Servants scurried through the house with flickering candles that threatened to go out at every step.

The dining room was filled with a soft glow as flames danced in cages. A couple sat in the dimness eating dinner oblivious to the severe weather. Occasionally they would flick their eyes over to the empty seat at the table and the hazy image of Thomas' lifeless body would fill their minds before they shook it away; determined to at least try and get back to normal.

"You look cold." Athos observed as a servant laid a light blanket over Anna's shoulders.

"I am fine: simply a chill." She assured. He frowned as she continued her meal in between sneezes.

"Right..." He placed his cutlery onto the table, stood and strode to her side. "You are ill." He lifted her from the chair and led her towards the bedroom.

"Athos I am fine." She sighed as they moved through the drawing room. He raised an eyebrow at her as she swayed on her feet.

"Yes, of course you are." He stopped her and hooked an arm behind her legs, carrying her bridal style into the bedroom.

"Athos..." She whined as he set her on the bed and moved to retrieve her nightgown. "I'm fine!"

"As the Comte, I order you to rest." A smile tugged at the corners of his lips as she rolled her eyes and dutifully changed into the thin gown before slipping between the sheets.

He removed his boots and joined her on the plump mattress. The pair laid in each other's arms listening to the rain's melody.

As lightning crashed and lit up the room, Athos glanced over to his lover and smiled when he saw her pressed into him, sleeping blissfully.

"I love you." He whispered to her slumbering figure as the final candle blew out and the house was cast into darkness. "I won't lose you too."