Chapter 1

She received many curious glances as she strolled down the streets of Paris in black leather trousers and a matching jacket as her obviously feminine hair flowed free.

Smirking, she rounded the corner and stopped dead at the edges of the Musketeer training grounds.

"Can I help you, sweetheart?" A snide voice asked.

"I'm here to see Captain Treville." She informed him as she kept her identity hidden under the brim of her hat. "And no; I'm not lost." With that she left the man and began towards the wooden staircase leading to Treville's office.

"Enter." A tired voice ordered as her left the wooden door. "State your busi-" He stopped as she removed her hat. "Anna?"

"Good to see you too, Captain." She smiled as he stood to greet her. "I received your letter."

"And you accept?"

"The chance to be stationed here, in Paris? Of course I accept!" He laughed as her love for the city shone through.

"I am glad." He mused as he returned to his seat. "All that is left to do now is to say 'Welcome back' and send you down to see everyone." With a smile she replaced her hat on her head and angled it to hide her face once more.

"Thank you, Captain." With that she left the room and stood happily on the balcony overlooking the training ground. She spotted with ease her friends and jovially began her descent to them.

"Who are you?" A gruff voice which she knew so well asked her as he pointed a musket at her concealed features.

"Why Porthos, don't you know better than to point a gun at a lady?" She joked as she reached up and removed her hat.

"Anna?!" She grinned as Aramis leapt forward and embraced her as Porthos replaced his musket and chuckled at her.

"Show me a lady and I won't point my gun at her."

"Don't be rude." She laughed as he too embraced her.

"What are you doing back in Paris?" Aramis enquired as they sat at the grand table at the edge of the training ground.

"Captain Treville felt it was time for me to stop spying and re-join my brothers." She told them. "And I couldn't resist the opportunity to drink you both under the table once more." They scoffed at her words in jest before raising tankards.

"To Antoinette: the only woman in France who can shoot better than a man and hold her drink!" She laughed at Aramis' words before joining them in draining their tankards.

"Wait till you meet D'Artagnan." Porthos said. "We're training him up and he'll be a Musketeer in no time." His voice held a trace of pride.

"I cannot wait." She told him as Aramis rolled his eyes. And she truly meant it: she could not wait to find out about her friends lives and catch up on all she had missed.

"Here he comes now, we sent him to wake Athos." He chuckled. "He had one too many last night." He told her and she forced a smile.

The familiar pooling in her stomach began as his name was said. It was inevitable that she'd meet him this morning but she had hoped she would have at least a few more drinks in her and had been able to squeeze some information out of Porthos and Aramis about his life currently.

She watched as Aramis waved him over but kept her back to him.

"Gentlemen." His melodious voice ran over her in waves as he approached. Slowly she turned and stood to face him.

"Good morning Athos." She smiled at the shocked man before she felt herself being pulled to him and was soon nestling into his shoulder and inhaling the unmistakable scent of leather, wine and desire.

It had been months since they had last seen each other at his family home yet they slipped into conversation as though it had been minutes. They avoided their intimate touches as they sat with their friends who had no idea about their secret meetings and assumed that just like them, Athos had not seen her in years.

After being introduced to their apprentice and taking a liking to the feisty young man, they had all sat down, had a drink and she had regaled them with stories of her adventures outside of the city all while ignoring his burning glances from a certain Musketeer that left her shivering with anticipation.

"Where are you staying?" D'Artagnan asked her and she shrugged.

"I am yet to secure lodgings: this was my first port of call." She informed them.

"You should enquire with Madame Bonacieux, she has a room free." He suggested.

"Constance?!" I asked excitedly. "She still lives here?!" Her question was answered with various nods. "I thought she had gone to live in the country!"

"No, her husband decided to stay." Aramis said as she scrunched my nose up at the mention of the husband.

"Then I shall certainly speak with her." She stated as she finished her drink and stood. "Good day for now." She mock curtsied to them before leaving the open space and heading towards the home of her old friend.