Chapter 8

"Hello." Anna cooed as the child was placed into her arms.

"Marie Guillory." Treville introduces the child as the nursemaid scurried away.

"As in Pierre Guillory?" Anna asked as she pulled face at the gurgling girl.

"The very same." Treville confirmed. "He's in talks with the King and so the Cardinal wants you to ensure her safety."

"Who is Pierre Guillory?" Porthos asked frowning at Aramis as the Musketeer joined Anna in entertaining Marie with a variety of facial expressions.

"Ex-mercenary: he has valuable information on a lot of...missing people." Treville informed them. "And while that's good for us, little Marie is being targeted."

"Let me guess, someone wants to get her to stop her father from spilling secrets?" Athos sighed.

"Exactly. So Anna if you could..." He gestured to Marie.

"Why is it my job to look after her?" Anna frowned.

"Well..."

"It's because I'm a woman?!" She raised an eyebrow at the Captain who lowered his head.

"If it is an inconvenience...?"

"Nonsense. I'd just like to be asked instead of you all assuming that I will look after this little sweetheart." The men smothered smirks as her voice softened as she finished speaking. "But there is one problem..." Anna stopped the Captain from shooing them away. "Bonacieux won't want a child in his home, so...?"

"He's away this week." D'Artagnan told her.

"Good, then you're fine to have her." Treville smiled. "Off you go."

"How do you feel about a houseguest?" D'Artagnan asked Constance as Anna hid behind the entrance to the kitchen of the home.

"Will they be paying rent?"

"It's doubtful..."

"Then they'll have to work." She sighed.

"Once again..." Anna emerged from her hiding place with a beaming Marie in her arms. "...that's doubtful."

Constance rushed over to the woman and retrieved the child.

"And who are you?" She cooed.

"Marie. And that's all you need to know." Anna told her.

"One crib." Porthos' voice echoed through the space as he carried the wooden item into the room. "Where should I put it?"

"My room." Anna said as she led him into the room opposite D'Artagnan's. "Thank you."

"And some clothes suitable for Mademoiselle Marie." Aramis entered the room with a basket of clothes.

"Have you not brought a gift?" Constance asked Athos as he entered the room empty handed.

"Who do you think paid?" He replied smoothly as he placed his hat on the table.

"And you'll be reimbursed." Anna reminded him as she took Marie from Constance and smiled down at the child who began to play with her hair. "Now, please leave gentlemen; I do believe it is time for Marie's nap."

Constance happily shooed the Musketeers away before joining Anna in fussing over the delightful child.

"Rock-a-bye bébé , dans la cime des arbres,

Quand le vent souffle, le berceau basculera,

Lorsque les branche se casse, le berceau tombera,

Et vers le bas viendra bébé, berceau et tous."