Chapter 3- Light

Phone rings

Mia: "Hel- Ahem (coughs to clear her throat) hello!"

Tonia: "Mia really?.... Why haven't you been to work? I've been calling you all week. What's going on with you? This is nothing like you."

Mia: (sniffles as tears fall) "I -I can't talk about it T I'm sorry. Go ahead and fire me if need be."

Tonia: "What! fire my employee of the....wait...are you crying Mi? Tell me what's going on Mia? Please, I'm starting to worry about you."

Mia: (Uncontrollably cries)

Tonia: "No, no, no Mia don't cry. come on, what's wrong?" she pleaded.

Mia: "I'm ok, I'm ok, I'm sorry.

Tonia: "Mia are you alone?" Tonia asked suspiciously

Mia: "Yes"

Tonia: "Could I come over?"

Mia: (Looking at herself in the mirror and sadden at the sight) "I don't think that's a good idea right now T."

Tonia: "It would only take a second Mi. I promise I won't stay long. I just really missed you." Mia looked at the clock and it assured her that Thomas wouldn't be back home for a couple of hours.

Mia: "Are you coming right now?"

Tonia: "Just as soon as you say yes"

Mia: "Ok Yes...... Hello."

Tonia hung up.

Mia hurried and showered, although her body badly ached. Twenty minutes had passed when the doorbell finally rang. She opened it and caught a quick glimpse of a smiling Tonia, but she quickly turned around when she noticed Tonia's smile fading.

"Mia look at me," Tonia nearly yelled.

"Shhh! Close the door and stop yelling please," Mia spat. Tonia slowly walked in, terrified at what she just saw as she closed the door. Mia walked over to her nightstand and put on the shade glasses that were resting there. After taking a deep breath she finally turned around to face Tonia. Shocked, Tonia gasp as she grabbed her mouth; although Mia had covered her eyes, her lips were triple the size from the swollenness and both the left side of her face and neck had bruises and bite marks.

Tonia's POV

I walked slowly to her as she nervously scratched at her hair and reached for her glasses, but her hands met mines to stop me.

"Mia please," I whispered as a tear rolled from behind the shades she was wearing, which triggered a single tear to roll down my face. I noticed her knuckles and wrist also had bruises as she let her hands drawn downward releasing mines and allowing me to remove the glasses. I caught my yelp before it turned into a scream as I saw both eyes were black and blue, but her left eye was nearly swollen shut. My beautiful friend's face resembled one of a professional fighter after fighting a great amount of rounds. What fucking monster could have done this to her?

I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my face. Mia looked as if she needed some medical attention as she started to cry with me.

I just held her and let her release it all.

Authors POV- 2 Weeks Later

"Good evening gentlemen, could I get you something," Said the luscious bartender Leah.

"Yeah um let me get a rum and coke, Yo y'all niggas want something," Roy asked his friend John and the twins.

"Yeah, let me have a shot of patron," said john while surfing through his phone.