Beetlepaw rolled her eyes. "I never get scratched up when I train with him."

    That's because he takes it easier on you. Lightpaw held her tongue.

    "Your sisters fight a lot," Rainpaw commented to Stormpaw as they passed by, casting a wary glance at the two she-cats. Beetlepaw glared at the grey tabby and Rainpaw quickly averted her eyes.

    Lightpaw sighed. "She's got a point."

    The black she-cat bristled. "She doesn't need to point anything out. Staying quiet might serve her best if she doesn't want thorns in her nest."

    "Clearly, someone put thorns in your nest," Lightpaw muttered.

    She was not ready for the weight on her chest, nor the momentum that sent her crashing back. Her head and shoulders hit the ground hard and she yowled in protest.

    "Get off me Beetlepaw!"

    "Why should I?"

    "Because I'm injured. And, besides that, you don't rule this camp."

    "Oh? Is that because you rule it?"

    "I never said that!"

    "It was implied!"

    Lightpaw struggled, angered by her littermate's words. How could Beetlepaw think such things?

    The weight disappeared suddenly and the pale tortoiseshell looked up to see a black tom standing over her. Behind him, Smoketalon appeared to be hauling Beetlepaw off.

    "I trust there is a good explanation for why the two of you are being so disruptive?" Spiderthorn asked coolly. Lightpaw got to her paws, smoothing her chest fur with a swift lick before shooting a pointed look at her sister. The black she-cat looked murderous.

    "Rainpaw said that the two of us argue a lot and I told Beetlepaw off for getting angry with her for it," Lightpaw said before Beetlepaw could comment. "And she attacked me for doing so."

    "We weren't arguing, we were discussing Lightpaw's training," Beetlepaw shot back. "Smoketalon got her again and I just pointed out that he's never got me before."

    Spiderthorn looked between the two apprentices, eyes flicking to Smoketalon once in the process. He seemed to be calculating the best course of action.

    Finally, "Smoketalon, I'll be having words with you about your training style. I don't want any of these apprentices hurt before they get a chance at their assessments."

    The deputy turned to Beetlepaw. "You and your sister do argue a lot, it's no crime for Rainpaw to say it. And as for Lightpaw's training injury, she's been practicing a more advanced move than you have."

    Beetlepaw's amber eyes turned to slits. "You always take her side."

    Before anyone could say another word, she stalked off. Lightpaw fought the urge to run after her and pummel her into the ground.

    "I'll step up Beetlepaw's training?" Smoketalon asked quietly, watching the apprentice go.

    Spiderthorn nodded. "I think that would be best."

    Lightpaw scrunched up her nose. Beetlepaw wouldn't be able to handle the moves Lightpaw was learning; she could hardly pull off a twist mid-air and land on her feet, let alone twist, swipe, dodge, and land all at the same time.

    "Lightpaw, walk with me." The deputy's command surprised the apprentice and she followed him as best as she could out of the camp.

    To her relief, Spiderthorn led her no further than the river that separated High Rocks from the forest. It cut straight through the soil, travelling to a pond the others called Deathwaters. Lightpaw had never been there, or heard of its significance.