There was a queue of cars people were arriving in and I could feel myself turn red. So many people had turned up. some from the years who had just left and others from the younger years, all to see their friends.

"Good luck Charlia." Jake kissed my cheek before he pulled up, getting out of the car. I stared at him in confusion as he walked around then understood his intentions.

Opening the door for me, I smiled in thanks, stepping out and letting out a shaky breath, posing for the professional photographer. Once he had the photos that he was happy with, I stepped to the side with the other students, waiting for the doors to open.

A few more people had arrived, one of the more popular groups arrived and I found myself shying away from the crowd of people as people chatted with their friends. And it made me feel truly disheartened that I'd never had something like this in high school. I was always the orphaned kid. No one knew what happened to my parents so they had always assumed.

Stopping the thought process, I heard the calls for us to pay attention as the doors were finally opening and we had to find our allocated seats and I felt slightly sick.

To my surprise, by the time I was seated, I realised that it wasn't necessary.

One of the girls, Jade, struck up a conversation with me.

"So I heard that you're leaving to go to America. Is this true Charlia?" I stared at her for a minute before nodding my head.

"I, uh-yeah. I've been adopted and my adoptive dad lives out in America."

"Oh that's so cool. Imagine all the possibilities out there!" It felt strange to talk like this to someone, like we were friends. But I hadn't had someone my age talk to me at all like this, so it was unfamiliar territory.

"Well yeah. I guess there is. I might pick up a new hobby, y'know, pass by the time."

"What do you think you'd do?" She seemed so chirpy, so I let myself relax a little bit.

"Well I was thinking possibly song writing. Maybe. It's always been something that's interested me and I know I've come up with a few good things. I'm gonna keep doing art though."

"Oh, so like a band kinda thing?"

"I guess, but I'd be on the sidelines. I think I'm sick of the spotlight after all this." I doubted that she'd understand, but she smiled.

"I think people were too quick to judge you."

She stunned me with that one. Thankfully, we were interrupted by the waiters serving our food and soon we were too busy eating to hold conversations.

For the most part, I just listened and watched, but a few times Jade spoke about few things to me, almost like she'd known me for my whole life and she even convinced me to come and dance with her.

Halfway through the DJ set, the head teacher took to the stage and got our attention. Everyone was slightly confused till he started speaking.

"So now we have awards. Best dressed and so on."

I got bored halfway through and unsurprisingly the populars got king and queen of prom. But it was fairly nice to see that as a whole, everyone seemed to enjoy it.

But what shocked me was when the head teacher started talking once more after the awards had been handed out.

"Right, so I've got one last speech as it were. This is for all of you, one person in particular. Now that you've all finished high school, you're going to go onto college and university, get jobs and live your life. But just consider this. Treat the world how you want to be treated. Yes there will be times where the world is against you, but look on the bright side. Maybe something will change in your life and make it better. This is a reminder to you all to try and respect the world around and good luck with your lives. And good luck to Charlia, I hope America treats you well."

I gave him a weak smile in return and suddenly peoples interest in me spiked.

"You're going to America? To live?"

"So someone decided to give you a home then?"

"Are you excited?"

"Are you glad?"

"Do you feel sad that you're going to leave?"

The questions bombarded me and I answered them the best that I could, but thinking about it, I didn't know if I'd be sad.

Half of me was grateful to Alex because he was giving me a new start in life, a fresh one. And I couldn't wait for it.

"I guess I'm kinda sad, but I'm more excited to start a new life." My answers seemed to satisfy the curiosity and thankfully we were finally left with just myself and Jade sat at the table.

"I know I never really stuck up for you but do you think we could maybe try to keep in contact? I can see now that you're such a different person..." She seemed shy about the question and I could understand why.

Really, I should have called her out, shamed her and made her feel bad before telling her to shove it up her ass. But I couldn't bring myself to be like that.

"Sure. There's no harm in having contact with my home after I move." I shrugged and she smiled. We swapped numbers and for the first time since I turned thirteen, I felt like a teenager.

By the time we were climbing in taxis to take us all back to our homes, I felt in a state of confusion. Had I been angry because no one was there, or I was angry at myself for not crying out and asking for help?

By the time I was in bed, I was confused and somewhat disorientated as I started to dream, the images loud and confusing just like my thoughts.

vote & comment!

peace, love n tiger stuff xo