12- Midnight Date

Start from the beginning

"More or less," I laugh.

"Stop it, then."

I realise how uncomfortable she is. In the silence of the car, I hear her stomach growl. Embarrassed, Nwanyieze crosses her arms over her torso and tries to sink into the car seat.

"Ignore that sound!"

I hold my laughter and nod dutifully. After a minute, "Do you have food ready at home?"

"I'm fine."

I'm silent for a few minutes before she says, almost tentatively, "I've been in Lagos with my aunt for three years."

"Obviously, you've adjusted pretty well."

"Yeah."

Silence. We're at Fadeyi now, and I'm hoping that she won't notice. At this time of the night, the road is occupied by few cars, allowing me to speed freely.

"Won't you ask about how my parents died?" she questions, cocking her head to one side, her big eyes fixed on me.

"That would be prying," I reply, although I'm anxious to know because it's really important.

"Oh, I don't mind you asking."

"Okay. So would you tell- "

"Hey Maduka! We've passed Onipanu! You're supposed to go into Shipeolu through Elediye!" she interrupts, looking out the window and whipping her head back to glare at me.

"I'm taking you somewhere."

Alarm briefly shows in her eyes and she seems to shrink away from me. I feel terrible because the light in her eyes has dimmed.

"You're just like Saheed," she whispers.

She has no idea how the remark affects me. I'd never throw her into a pool or hurt her while trying to stuff her into my car after a quarrel. Added to the fact that I actually disliked the guy.

"I am nothing like Saheed."

"You take decisions concerning me without my permission!"

"Oh, come on, Nwanyieze! I've never hurt you, have I? Trust me a little!"

"Where would you be taking me to by this time of the night if not my house or..."

"A hotel, abi?" I smirk at her.

"Maduka, if you know what's good for you, you'd better take the nearest U-turn and drop me home!"

I don't know which is funnier, her facial expression or her threat. Either way, I burst into laughter. This girl really is something else! Hungry and basically helpless, she's making threats.

We argue until I pull up at Allen Avenue, Ikeja.

"You can't be serious," Nwanyieze says with a laugh. "University of Suya?"

"You're hungry, aren't you?" I ask her, getting out of the car.

She remains right there on the seat, obviously struggling to keep being mad at me. I go round the car, open the passenger door, and lean close to her. Her scent rises to tease my nostrils and I wonder what her skin would feel like against my lips.

"If you like, keep doing shakara. Me, I'm going to buy suya and when I come back, don't even think about begging me," I whisper into her ear. "Because I won't share."

I leave her there and walk away.

A/N: Who has been to the University of Suya? Where my Allen girls at?

Glossary:

1. Ehen- a word/sound used by Nigerians. Depending on the situation, it can be used to show sarcasm, ask questions, etc. 'Yes/Yeah' would be the English word replaced by Ehen. Examples of some uses are:
a) To concur- "Ehen, it's true!"
b) To recall- "Ehen, I remember."
c) To appraise- "Ehen, now you're talking!"
d) To question- "Ehen, and so?"

2. Suya- spicy shish kebab whic is is popular food item in West Africa. Usually, mixed spices are used along with dry pepper, onions and vegetables of choice. Suya is generally made with beef, ram or chicken. This is what it looks like:

 This is what it looks like:

3. Abacha: Also called African Salad, this is a meal made from dried cassava shavings, potash, and red (Palm) oil. Abacha is usually garnished with vegetables and beef or fish mainly. It originated from Eastern Nigeria and is popular among the Igbo tribe. Abacha is very tasty! Here is an image:

 Abacha is very tasty! Here is an image: