18

If I told you that I loved you would you care? If I told you that I need you would you be right there?
-Vince Staples

Marcel
Summer '16 (A Year Later)

Before my show tonight here in New Zealand I had to do a couple of interviews. The first was for Noisey. It feels like I've been gone from home for months doing these festivals and just touring in Europe. These white people love my music for some reason. I'm not complaining though because it pays mine and my mother's bills and my car note.

I got out of the car as my manager told me what we're doing during the interview. For some reason I never got the regular interviews where you just sit down and talk to a person. They always got me doing some off the wall shit, but I'm not tripping. Apparently I have a decent personality to make them interesting.

I walked into the restaurant going where they told me to where they had cameras setup. I looked at the little, white girl sitting in the booth who's supposed to be interviewing me. "I wish I would've known this was a date. I would've wore a suit and brought you flowers," I said referring to what my manager told me about the interview.

She laughed saying, "You don't have to wear a suit on a date."

"On a "real" real date, you do. It's a must. I've never been on a real date, but I know that. You at least gotta dress up and go somewhere fancy and expensive." I smoothed my Supreme crewneck sweater out as they said we're about to start.

"How many girlfriends have you had? I wanna know what I'm up against," Kate, the interviewer asked. I honestly wasn't interested in this interview, but her accent is cool and we get free food. Everybody loves free food.

"Eight, but only three were real, like more than a week. So not a lot. I don't get out much," I said dipping a fry into ketchup. Dana and Jasmine, who were both in high school. They were both crazy, especially Jasmine. She was Latina and I can't count how many times I questioned her sanity. Then Matika, I thought to myself.

"Do you travel too much for a relationship now?" She asked next.

"I could probably do it. This is how my life works: there's this one girl I've known for awhile, and she picks when she wants to go and come back. When I'm back home, she'll be like hey. And I'm fine with it. I still consider her my girl right now. That's probably stupid of me but-" I shrugged. "She breaks up with me and I just wait for her to take me back whenever because I know she will. It's just a matter of when," I said honestly as I spoke about Matika.

Right now we've been "broken up" for about 3 months. She thought I cheated on her on the road and I find that laughable. I leave her alone because I know when you've been cheated on before you're paranoid. "Isn't that kind of dysfunctional? She basically treats you like an old toy. She neglects you then picks you up when she feels like it."

"Dysfunctional is all I know. My parents literally have the most volatile situation I've ever seen in my life, they're fucking crazy. They're two people who should not be on the streets, they're lunatics. But I've never seen anybody love each other more than they love each other. Same with my girl. I hate my girlfriend to death. She has an attitude problem. She's crazy, but I'm fucking crazy too."

"Well, what's your perfect woman? Who are your celebrity crushes?"

"I can't answer that. I'ma get in trouble," I mumbled. I chuckled then said, "The one at my house right now. So she doesn't break or take any of my things. She has a key." I know saying that after everything sounded weird. Me and Matika just have a weird relationship. I don't care how many times she calls it quits that's still mine.