5

I'm getting old! My back hurts, I got asthma, I just been listening to Amy Winehouse, trying not to cry. Life's crazy. 
-Vince Staples [mood😭]

Marcel
Long Beach, CA

It was my lunch break, so I went over to Nordstrom Rack to see if Char is on hers

It was my lunch break, so I went over to Nordstrom Rack to see if Char is on hers. I walked in going to the one checkout station they had to see that girl, Matika working. I guess she got the job after all. I went up asking, "Where's Char?"

"Well, hello!" She said smiling showing her deep dimples. "She's not here."

"Hey and whatchu mean? She already went on her lunch break?" I asked furrowing up my eyebrows.

"No, I mean she's not here as in she's not here. She left early."

"Oh, alright." I said about to walk away, but she touched my arm that was sitting on the counter. I looked back at her arching a brow.

"Is that your girl or something? You come in here everyday to go eat lunch with her on your lunch break."

"Nah, just my friend."

"Oh!" She said slowly making an O with her mouth. What was the purpose of her asking that? "You know, it's about to be my lunch break. I can go with you...if you want."

"That's fine. If you want," I repeated.

"Okay, let me go get my purse," she got up and I leaned against the checkout station pulling my phone out. I wonder why she wants to eat with me all of a sudden. She came back and we walked to the food court. We both got Chinese then sat down across from each other. We pretty much ate in silence when she broke it by saying, "You used to be 2N Crip?" Now I know why she wants to eat with me.

"Once upon a time," I said looking up at her. "You wanna ask about your brothers murder, huh?" She shyly nodded her head. Don't get shy now. You were bold before. "Well I asked your friend about him and I don't know nothing. I don't know who put it in your head I did that. I know I didn't do it." I wouldn't tell her even if I did. I would be a fool if I did.

"And how are you so sure about that?!" She said getting a spark of attitude.

"Maybe I don't. Tell me everything you know..."

"My brother was with some friends who decided to hit a lick. He didn't know that's what they were going to do. He just stood outside on watch. He didn't take anything and refused any money after. We went to Ramona Park like we always do. When I came back to the basketball court some dudes were jumping him. One pulled a gun out shooting him then ran off. He died right there."