45

I don't have a message. You already have all these people telling you how to live, who to be, what to wear, what to drive, what drugs to do - I just want people to see what I see.
-Vince Staples

Matika
Long Beach, CA

A group of teenagers sat around a classroom talking amongst each other while me and one of Marcel's old producers, No I

A group of teenagers sat around a classroom talking amongst each other while me and one of Marcel's old producers, No I.D. sat in front of them. Today was the first day of Marcel's program to help Long Beach teenagers.

"Okay, quiet down." I said standing up. "You all are here because you were hand chosen by Marcel to participate in a program allowing you to learn more about the music industry. Unfortunately the person funding this, couldn't be here."

"He's still in jail?" A kid whined.

"I feel the same way," I said. It's been a year and a half since Marcel's trial has started. Somehow they've managed to drag it on and on. Every time the jury was supposed to make a decision it was hung. They would be split and couldn't make a decision. So they got him a new jury and and the process started again. They want Marcel to break and take a plea deal, but he refuses.

I'm curious...What do you know about Marcel?" I asked.

Kids raised their hand and I pointed at them as they fired things at me. Some true and some rumors or just completely ridiculous.

"That he used to live down the street from me. Poppy street," A Mexican girl said as some of them laughed.

"That he was in 2N Crip. He's not a fake like these other rappers," a boy said dapping the boy next to him.

"I heard he killed his best friend."

"Yeah, I heard he killed a little girl too. Like a stray bullet hit her during a shootout."

"I heard he flocked an Apple Store and made 100k selling the stuff he stole," a boy with waves said as everybody laughed. "Now that's hustle."

"I heard he killed somebody with his bare hands."

A young man pointed at the girl who said it then said, "Did you hear about him killing somebodies dog? Ruthless!" He shook his head as they laughed again.

"Oh oh!" A girl said raising her hand. "This one is actually true...He was so bad that he got banned from the whole city of Long Beach. Crazy, right?"

"Didn't he kill your brother?" This boy asked looking at me with a confused face.

Before I could answer a boy smacked his lips saying, "You don't ask that! Where are your manners?"