33

It's okay to be a piece of shit. Now, I don't think I'm a piece of shit, I think she's an asshole, but it's important to accept who you are. A lot of people in relationships don't have enough respect for who their partner is: you've gotta accept them too.
-Vince Staples [👏🏾]

Charaya
Los Angeles, CA
6 months later

I sat at the table tapping my pen on the table nervously with my lawyer

I sat at the table tapping my pen on the table nervously with my lawyer. I was just hoping and praying me and Marcel could come to a sensible agreement about the custody arrangements for Maurice. Ever since the car accident they gave Marcel temporary custody, so he's been living with him. I usually had Maurice on weekends or whenever Marcel had to go out of town.

Going through this made me realize how difficult I was being. Not once did Marcel did what I did by not answering my calls or texts and not letting me see Maurice. I'm just ready to have Maurice living back with me again. Although it has given me time to get myself together. It allowed for me to fully mourn Jai and move on with my life. It just let me reflect on what and who I want in my life.

"As far as custody, Marcel is willing to do joint physical custody. Meaning, the child will live with you primarily. Monday through Thursday then on Friday Marcel will come get him. Marcel would like Maurice during the summer break as well. Also, if you're mother ever gets out of jail he would like to prohibit your son from being left in her care. And as long as Marcel fulfills his custodial duties you may not put him on child support. Sound fair?" His lawyer said.

"Yes," I said smiling. As long as I get my son back anything sounds good.

"Good. Sign here," his lawyer said pushing a packet towards me. I read over it as well as my lawyer then I signed and dated it.

"And there we have it. Your son can move back in with you as soon as you two are ready. Have a nice day."

"Thank you," I said standing up. I grabbed my things putting my bag over my shoulder walking out of the building when I heard my name being called. I turned around to see Marcel walking towards me. I stopped then waited for him to catch up to me.

"You can come get Maurice next week. I hope that's okay because I know you're excited to get him back. I just figured it would make more sense because my wedding is this weekend and he's going to be in it."

"Oh, that is this weekend. That's fine. I can wait. I need to clean my house anyway."

"Okay, cool. Thanks," he said nodding his head as it got awkward.

"Again thank you for not being an asshole about this. You could've asked for sole custody out of spite because of my actions, but you didn't. For that I thank you. And congratulations on getting married."