1.

Tryna decide if I wanna start the drama off early or....

Missy

"What the hell, August?!" I screamed.

"What?! I had ta' wake you up, you was having a bad dream." He explained with his hands up in surrender. I sighed deeply before getting up to brush my teeth with August in tow. As I brushed, he did the same. I went room to room to check out the house to see if everything was clean, which it was.

"Missy, I know what you doing. You ain't slick." August popped up behind me, frightening me. I gasped in shock. "Well, what am I doing then?"

"You checking ta see if I had another woman staying in the house when you know that's now how I rock." He said before wrapping his long arms around my waist. I could only laugh. He always knew when I was up to something, even if I didn't know. I tightened my hold around his waist before poking my lips out and let him place a soft and gentle kiss on my lips.

"Nobody." He whispered as he looked into my eyes. "Just like Mama T promised."

"I'm just scared, August. I had the worst nightmare."

"So that's why you was jumpin'? Tell me about it."

As we made our way to the kitchen and I started pulling out everything for breakfast, I told him the story of my nightmare. "She was pregnant with your baby and the kids were calling her mommy, baby. I felt like shit. They didn't even want me as their mommy, Aug."

"You don't gotta worry 'bout none of that. Ain't no bitches 'round here carrying my seed or got my kids callin' them they mama." He said.

"Our kids, August." I corrected.

"If they our kids, then they my kids." He laughed, knowing he was about to get on my nerves with his childish games. "Aye, why you cooking though? It's ya first day out, you 'post ta be laid back while everything else is taken care of."

"I wanna cook for you and the kids since I haven't been around to be mom or wife since forever." I told him. My mood had quickly died as I thought about my kids growing up without their mother. I felt the tears burning my eyes but I held them back, trying not to kill August's vibe.

"Missy, I see you." He randomly said.

"You see me what?"

"I see ya eyes watering. Don't cry, baybeh." He said, pulling me into his warm embrace. My face was buried in his chest and I appreciated every bit of the close moment. "They gon' warm up to you, especially Lyric. You don't even gotta worry 'bout that one." He laughed in attempts of brightening the mood.

"But my boys." I sobbed into his chest, finally letting it out.

"Oh my goodness, Missy. Why you doin' this ta me? You know I don't like when you cry, I done seen you do that too many times."

"August, what if they don't love me?"

"They love you, mama. Stop that." He said. His voice cracked as he spoke. I didn't say anything else, but I let him comfort me because I truly needed it. I was driving myself crazy with these thoughts but I think any mother who's been separated from their family would. I missed out on kissing my babies' scrapes and bruises and taking them to school on their first day. At their age, none of them actually need me like they would as small children. Lyric is a teen and the boys are in their double digits and are all very capable of taking care of themselves.

"Good mor-!" I looked up to see Lyric entering the kitchen and yelling with a smile on her but she put a halt on her happy greeting as her smile fell once she noticed my face that made it evident I'd been crying. "What's wrong, mommy?" She questioned.

"I'm just getting my emotions in check. I'm still coping with being a free woman again, baby. Don't worry." I told her as I wiped my eyes. "Okayyy." She said, awkwardly.

"Go get ya' brothers up. Have them take showers, brush they teeth, and make them clean up they room. It better not be one toy car or remote on that floor when they done either." August spoke up.

"But, Dad, they're so mean to me when they wake up."

He shrugged and told her. "Slap 'em then."

"August!" I slapped his arm. "What? They are mean ta they big sista' sometimes. She gotta stand up fa' herself." He shrugged.

"Don't slap them, baby. Violence only leads to more violence." I told her.

"I know you not talking. You just slapped my arm like it wasn't nothing. And did I hit you back? Nope." He laughed. "Baybeh, just gon' 'head and get them boys up. If they mean ta you, just let me or ya mama know. We gon' come in there and help you."

As soon as she walked away, August's nasty ass squeezed my ass and kissed on my neck as if I didn't have to cook.

"August, stop. I gotta make breakfast." I laughed as I pushed him away.

"Man, let the chef cook. That's what he get paid fa' any fucking way."

"Chef?" I said, quickly reminded of the dream.

"Yeah, I hired a chef. I didn't always feel like cooking and ya' mama didn't always feel like coming over here just ta' cook and eat. Don't worry, it's a man named Teddy." He said. My eyes grew wider and my jaw dropped.

"August, the dream." I said, becoming worried.

"What you mean?"

"In the dream, Teddy is the one who was being mean to me and he was the chef." I told him. "Oh hell naw, Missy. This ain't the dream, okay? Didn't none of that shit happen. Ain't no hoes pregnant, laying up in here, being called mommy or none of that other shit you talkin' about. Aight?"

"Aight." I said, mocking him.

"So, you gonna let me call him ta' cook breakfast or what?"

"Uh no, you and I are cooking for our children together for the first time in ten years." And that's what we did. We had a good time cooking and the food was actually good. And dream Teddy said I wouldn't remember how to cook.

All three of the kids were at the dining table, eating breakfast with us. They seemed to enjoy my cooking and didn't mind talking to me at the table. They even called me mommy, which made my heart feel really good.

"Mommy," Kenneth called. "how come you left us for so long?" When he asked, Kendrick looked up at me and nodded, indicating that he wanted to know as well. The happy feeling I had went away and that sadness came back. I didn't want the kids to feel like leaving was my choice. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have left them not even for a few days but I had no option.

August decided to take over and spoke for me. "Ya' mama did a lot of sacrificing fa' this family. She made sure we were safe, especially y'all. She a strong lady and leaving definitely was her choice. When y'all were baybehs, she didn't even want y'all leavin' her sight. Now, she's back and we gon' treat her like she never left. We all gon' love and respect her as we should."

Hearing him say that made me feel better about being back with my family. I grabbed his hand under the table and kissed his lips.

"Thank you for that. I love you." I said.

"Oh, no problem. And I love you too, mama. Welcome home."