38.

Banner by TheBlueDJ thank you for the beautiful graphic.

Ethan and I are walking along the Santa Monica Pier as the sun is setting. He has his arms wrapped around me as we walk towards the Ferris wheel. "There's something that I've been meaning to ask you for a while."

I turn to him. "What's that?"

Ethan kneels on his knee and pulls out a small box from inside his jacket. He opens the box and looks at me. "I've watched you from a distance when I first became friends with your brother. He made me promise him that I wouldn't go after you. At first I went along with it. That was until I saw you at a University party and I knew that I couldn't leave you alone any longer."

I look at him. "So, that was you. The one that broke my heart when he disappeared."

He gulps. "Yes, that was me."

I hit him. I whisper. "I've loved you for a long."

Ethan smiles. "That's good to know. Now, can I continue?" I zip my mouth and throw the keys away and he laughs. "Where was I?"

"You were giving me the proposal speech."

"When I returned from my last mission I found out that I had two daughters that I didn't know existed, but I only came home for one woman and she turned out to be the Foster Mom of kids. So, not only did I get the girl, I got the family I always wanted. I have love you for a long time and I will love you long after we're gone from earth. Will you do me honour of becoming my wife?"

Tears begin to fall down my face and I nod. "Yes, Ethan Miller, I'll marry you."

Ethan slips the ring on my fingers and rises.

Around us a group of people whistle and clap their hands.

When did we get an audience?

I wrap my hand behind Ethan's neck and I kiss him.

The crowd move away from us.

He looks at me. "We have a reservation that we need to go to." He takes my hand and walk to the restaurant.

***

At the restaurant we're shown to the booth at the back of the restaurant. There's a bottle of wine on the table. The waiter opens the bottle with a pop and I jump from the unexpected sound.

Ethan laughs. "I didn't know you were afraid of a little cork."

I lean forward. "I wasn't expecting it.

The waiter fills our glasses before he leaves the table.

I open the menu and have a quick look at it. "Do you know what's good to eat from here?"

"I've never been here before. I wanted to take you to a place that I've never been to. You deserve to be at unfamiliar place for dinner on the night that I proposed to my beautiful girl."
I rise and move over to him. "Thank you." I kiss his cheek.

The waiter walks over to the table and he looks at us. "Can I take you order now. Or do you want me to come back?"

"You can take our orders now." I give him my order and Ethan does the same.

The guy writes the order on the pad. "I'll be back with your order soon." He walks over to the kitchen and places the order.

I sit on Ethan's lap. "Dad gave me something before we left and he told me to open at the perfect time. I think right now is that perfect time." I pull out the envelope.

He looks at it. "Your father is full of surprises. I can't wait to see what he has in there for us."

"Do you want to open it?"

He shakes his head. "No, I'll leave that to you."

I open the envelope. I see a few documents and a ring falls out as well. I pick up the ring and I see a letter attached to it. I open the letter.

Dear Laken,
If your Grandfather and I aren't around when you get married we wanted you to have a few things to remember us by. I left my wedding ring to you and to your partner I leave him my husband's ring.

I pick up the rings and I look at them.

I used to play with the rings when I was in my Grandma's lap when I was a kid. I miss her.

Tears begin to fall down my face.

Ethan wraps his arms around me. "That was nice of her to leave them for us."

I turn around and face him. "We don't have to use them if you don't want."

Ethan kisses my head. "We're going to use those rings. They're family heirlooms and they deserved to be worn by family."

I smile. "Thank you."

He looks at the papers. "What else did you Dad give us?"

I open one of the Documents and there's five million dollars in six different accounts for University for the kids. There's one for Sophie and Gracie. The other four don't have names on them. I show the papers to Ethan,

He whistles. "Your Dad has everything set up for our future kids. I didn't expect him to do the same for Gracie and Sophie."

"The twins are family too, Ethan. They might not be mine by blood, but they are ours and I want to officially adopt them as well. If that's alright with you?"

He smiles. "I would love nothing more than that. Sophie and Gracie think of you as their Mom. They also think your parents are there Grandparents too. What else do you have in there?"

I go through a few more documents and find one with the deeds to a house. It has the address on a sticky note. "We have a house. Here in Los Angeles and there's another place in Chicago that the family used for winter. The girls are going to love staying there in winter. There's also some cheques for all his Grandkids when they turn 21." I rise and run straight to the rest room.

Dad has thought of everything.

I lean over the sink and let the tears fall.

I wish that he would be here for when my first child is born, but I know that's not going to happen. I'll be happy with him walking me down the aisle.

I blink away the tears and I wipe the tears away. I walk over to the dispenser and I get a paper towel from it and wipe my face. I take a deep breath.

I need to get back out there to my Fiancé.

I walk over to the table and I sit across from Ethan.

He looks at me. "I have something to tell you, Laken?"

I cross my legs and fold my arms. "Does this have something to do with why you've been acting weird lately?"

He nods. "I was organising everything for our wedding with the help from your Mom and sister. We don't know how much longer your father will be with us. We're getting married in two weeks."

***

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

MissDredge

Let me know what you think of the current chapter of Foster Mom.