"Yes, we converse over telephone yesterday only and he was glad about your mother's decision."

"I am a little lost, officer. May I know about which decision you are talking about," Nandini asked trying to compose herself. 

"Your mother didn't tell you? "

"She did.  I guess it slipped my mind as we talked about a lot of matters last night."

Officer looked at her, unconvinced.

Nandini rubbed her palms to tackle anxiety.  She smiled sweetly, trying to look all convincing. 

"It seems you ladies talk a lot about matters of state," He said caressing arm of chair with his thumb. Nandini's gaze followed his each gesture.

"She agreed to represent us and lead us to people, and people to us," he told in one breath.

"Lead as in?" Nandini asked all innocently.

"People are not cooperating us, as you can see, Nandini, " He said pointing towards workers who were clearing the bushes, "They are hostile and highly angry. "

"We may not be able to hold this rage for long if we don't find a force to contain it, " He added.

Nandini looked pale listening to it all.

"Can I have a glass of water?" She asked. 
Aryan handed her glass and asked if she was alright. 

"I need to talk to my father. You know,  about people and their behaviour," She said while wiping the sweat from her face. 

She tried to look normal, non emotional and highly confident. At least she tried. 

-----------------

"Aashi"
She ran to door listening Manik's call.

"You came," she hugged him tight in delight. 

"Woods for fireplace and stove," he put a bundle on ground. 

He looked around to ensure something. 
"He isn't home," Aashi told. 

"Doesn't matter. I come here for my little sister, not that eyesore," he said while sitting on door steps. 

"I told that as matter of relief only," she sat beside him and both burst into laughter.

"He isn't that bad, Manik," Aashi said while drawing some pattern on clay, "we three are left now. If not by choice, we are bound by blood at least."

Manik looked at her blankly and she couldn't gather courage to meet his gaze.

"Yes," He said.

"That's it" she asked all afraid.

Manik looked at her. She was trying to read,  trying to find to be more precise,  annoyance on his face. 

"Yes," He again said, "though I agree he isn't that bad... "

"He is downright disgusting and irritating,  and a shame, a snob and a furry pet as well."

Aashi looked at him with eyes wide open and he burst into laughter.

Aashi nodded her head in disbelief and joined him in his rare smiling moments.

Putting a halt on their short lived moment,  a sound of quarrel drew their attention.  They heard someone crying in pain.

—----—-------—

"So my parents have agreed to fool their own people. This is unbelievable. This is plain unbelievable. Just because this inhuman army isn't able to get hold on people here and failing miserably, that doesn't mean they would sabotage them using my parents.  How in world, how they could agree?  No, they can't. I need to talk to father."